41

Max didn't bother to argue or put on a fight as he was also taken out of the race by the second Mercedes driver, but he was pretty angry. As soon as he reached the garage he took off his gloves and threw it in frustration, making everyone close by flinch. He hurried to his room and changed out of his racing suit while the race continued.

"I would like to go with you, but I think you should go alone," Eloise told Max as he came out of the room, and on his way to the hospital where Caroline was taken.

"I will let you know how she is doing after I get there," Max said before heading out, without giving a single glance at the ongoing race as he was more worried about Caroline.

***

Caroline rested in her hospital bed after a bunch of tests were done to see if she was alright after the crash. She tried not to switch on the tv in her room and watch the race but curiosity and boredom were getting the best of her and she ended up watching the race.

She was happy to see Charles was leading the race but soon Lewis overtook him with only a few laps to go and she felt nothing but disappointment. She didn't want Lewis to win, not when he was the reason she is out of the race and in the hospital for a few hours and Max is out of the race to score any points.

She knew Lewis was going to win but what she didn't expect was the way he celebrated. She understood it was his home crowd and he was proud to win for them but a part of her hoped he would have rushed down to come to see her, even though the other part of her felt it was not fair to him since they are barely in good terms like before.

Caroline tore her eyes away from the tv as the door opened. At first, she thought it was a nurse or a doctor, but she was proven wrong as Max walked in.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to see you unharmed," Max rushed to her side. "51 G Care, that's a big crash. Everyone was so worried," he hugged her, barely giving her any time to respond.

"I am fine Max, really," Caroline assured him, feeling a little relieved and happy by his presence.

He let go of her and studied her, looking for any sign of hurt and emotional pain.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes," Caroline nodded, lying through her teeth. "I am completely fine. These kinds of things happen in a race."

Max shook his head, disagreeing with her. He sat down and Caroline took his hand, feeling selfish but after the fright, she had she wanted to remember that she is still alive.

"I can't believe him," Max angrily muttered as his eyes fell on the tv, Lewis was still celebrating and cheering up the crowd.

Caroline quickly switched off the tv.

"He should be here with you," Max said, as much as it pains him he realizes Caroline needs the man she loves by her side. "Although, I think I would happily kick him out since he is the one who caused you to have the crash."

Caroline gave him a small smile and squeezed his hand.

"Thank you," she looked at him, trying to hide her fear. "For coming here and I am sorry you didn't get to finish your race."

"I would have like to win the race, but in a way, I am happy to be out of the race," he replied honestly. He didn't need to give further explanation as Caroline understood.

***

Both Caroline and Max were happy when they were informed that Caroline can leave as all the test results were normal, but on the inside, she was still shaking but she was doing a very good job hiding it.