25

Max angrily kicked the car before running out of the race track and went straight to the Red Bull garage. He was leading the race and was sure to win but unfortunately one of his tyres blew up, causing him to hit the barricade and out of the race. 

He went over the footage multiple times as everyone waited for the race to restart. But now Lewis will be leading and will win the race if Caroline doesn't manage to overtake him. 

Lewis watched as Max went over to Caroline's car and bent down to talk to her. As far as he knows they were not talking properly but here Max is, talking to Caroline. 

"Are you okay?" Caroline looked up at Max. 

"Yeah.." Max nodded. "It sucks but I am okay. I just wish there was someone to blame."

Caroline chuckled. 

"You have to win okay," Max gave her a small smile. 

"Don't worry, I won't let Lewis take the lead in the championship," Caroline assured him. 

Both talked for a few more minutes before it was time for the race to restart. 

"We will continue our fight after you win," Max joked before he stood up. 

"There is nothing to fight about Max," Caroline chuckled. "Just stay out of my personal life."

Max shook his head before turning around. He shot Lewis a glare and went back to the garage. 

As soon as the race restarted Caroline quickly took the lead. Lewis tried to overtake her in the first corner but instead went straight and hit the barricade, getting himself disqualified. 

"Did I have magic on?" He asked his engineer, disappointment was clear in his voice. 

"Yeah"

Lewis was also informed that Caroline is now leading and he is sure she is going to win unless something unfortunate happens. 

Max cheered from his seat as Caroline increased the gap with the rest of the cars and was on her way to win. 

Eloise shot him a knowing look and he awkwardly looked away. The younger Ricciardo is no fool and can clearly see the feelings he has for Caroline, which makes her dread about what will happen once he learns what is going on between the girl he loves and his rival. 

***

A bright smile was plastered on Caroline's face as she got out of the car. She directly went over to her team to celebrate. Not only did she win the race, she is now third in the championship. 

"Well done Caroline," Christian proudly hugged her. 

Caroline felt a familiar hand on her back and immediately turned around. 

"Congratulations," Max smiled and Caroline hugged him, only then realizing how much she has missed him and his friendship, but she is too stubborn to admit it. 

"You did so well today, Care," Max wrapped his arms around her, lifted her up slightly and spun her around. 

"Maybe now I will take the championship lead from you," she joked. 

"Haha," he gave a fake laugh. "No."

"Lewis is the competition Max, not you."

***

"What is magic?" Caroline curiously asked Lewis who is comfortably lying in her bed and lazily scrolling through his phone. 

"Huh?" Lewis asked, moving his attention to Caroline as she sat near him. 

She repeated the question, pointing out what he said after he didn't make the corner today and went straight to hit the barricade. 

"It is..." He sat up, but narrowed his eyes. "I can't tell you," he gave a mischievous grin. "But if you really want to know you will have to join Mercedes."

Caroline chuckled, taking his words as a joke. 

"Yeah...that's not going to happen."

"Why not?" Lewis questioned. "You don't want to drive for the best team in formula one?"

"Red Bull is my family," Caroline smiled as she took Lewis' hand in hers. "I won't leave the team unless they kick me out or something unfortunate happens."

"But don't you want to be a champion one day?" 

"I do," Caroline nodded. "And I know I can become champion one day with Red Bull, but I still have a long way to go."

Lewis gave a short smile, decided to drop the topic as he can't see a way of continuing it without making her suspicious, instead he decided to the next topic in his mind. 

"Speaking of Red Bull...how is Max?" He asked, making Caroline raise her eyebrows. "I noticed earlier that you two are talking now."

"He is okay," she sighed. "I miss him, I miss what we used to be," she answered honestly, making Lewis slightly jealous. 

Lewis can see there is something more than friendship between Caroline and Max, but he is not worried as he is sure Caroline's feelings for him are stronger than what she feels for Max. It's Max he is worried about. 

"I am sure everything between you two will go back to normal soon," Lewis gave a tight smile, before pulling her closer and kissed her, diverting her mind from her teammate. 

**********

A/N: Lewis is slowly trying to get Caroline to Mercedes. Thoughts?

Do you think Caroline will win a championship with Red Bull or should she move to Mercedes?

Who's feelings are stronger for Caroline: Max or Lewis?