15

Caroline looked at Max from the opposite side of her garage, but he didn't even glance at her once. He has ignored her the entire week and almost everyone noticed it. Even Christian was worried.

"Okay, what is going on with you two?" Eloise stood in front of Caroline, blocking her view of Max.

"Nothing..he is just being an ass," Caroline replied as she tried to divert her mind from Max and focus on the race that will start after a couple of hours.

"He has always been an ass," Eloise rolled her eyes as she turned to look at Max who was looking over them but looked away immediately, luckily for him Caroline didn't notice that. "so what changed?"

"I don't know," Caroline replied, not wanting to explain anything, especially when the entire crew is around.

"Well you better figure out soon before it affects both of your performances," Eloise advised.

***

"Are you okay?" Lewis asked Caroline. "You look a bit tense."

He noticed her after she came out of the Alpha Tauri garage where Alex called her to ask if she is leaving Red Bull and joining Ferrari. The entire weekend she has spent clarifying that she is not joining Ferrari and trying to talk to Max.

"Yeah, I am fine," she gave a polite smile as she ran her fingers through her hair.

"You are lying," he said. "What is going on?"

"Nothing," she shook her head. "Everything is fine Lewis."

"Then why don't I believe you?"

Max watched as Lewis and Caroline talked, once again making him feel jealous. Caroline's back was faced towards him so he can't say if she is smiling or not but Lewis was definitely enjoying the conversation, in fact, his full attention was on Caroline, except for a split second when he noticed Max glaring. He gave a subtle smirk before going back to act normal.

"Bastard.." Max mumbled to himself.

No matter what Caroline says Max is completely sure that Lewis is trying to get to him, play mind games, and mess up his mind through Caroline. But what surprised him is that why it is bothering him so much. When did Caroline become so important to him?

***

"Holy shit!" Caroline gasped as she saw the two cars ahead of her crash. Immediately she slowed down as the race was red-flagged. Both the Red Bull of Max and Mercedes of Lewis was in no shape to race again and she is worried about both the drivers. And from what she saw it was clear that Max crashed into Lewis despite the more than enough space between them.

"Are they both okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, they are both out of the car and safe."

The race soon restarted once all the debris were cleared out and the crash moved Caroline up to P2, with Valtteri leading the race.

"Should be an easy win," she smugly said.

Valtteri was trying his best to keep Caroline behind him but after the next two laps she overtook him and took the lead.

Max gave a proud smile as he watched the race as the medic was checking on him to see he is alright after the crash. But the smile dropped when the race ended with her winning and he knows she is coming to see him after the podium celebration to ask him about the crash.

***

"That was a great drive," Lewis congratulated Caroline once she got down from the podium.