Chapter #1: The End (as in the dimension, not the end of the story)

Grian opened his eyes to see dark purple static in front of him. every inch of him hurt, and his head was fuzzy. He had no idea where he was. His mind felt empty, as if every single memory he had had been wiped away. When he tried to recall anything, the only thing he could find was static. As he began to regain his senses, he realized that he was laying on something hard and cold. There was a ground beneath him, and the purple static he was facing was the sky. what was this place?

Grian tried as hard as he could to remember, but was only greeted by the same blank emptiness. He should probably just accept that his memories were gone. yet, he still wished that he knew what had happened to him, and what this strange place was. it seemed so familiar to him... yet he just couldn't place his finger on it. he decided to finally try to sit up, despite being slightly dizzy. when he did, he saw the stony ground he was lying on. It was a pale yellow that highly contrasted with the dark background. all around him, he could see stalks of tall purple plants that reached up to the strange static sky.

They too had a strange familiarity that Grian couldn't place his finger on. as he looked up further, he spotted tall dark skinny figures with glowing purple eyes. they blended in with the background so well, that Grian wouldn't have been able to notice them at all if it hadn't been for their glowing eyes, that stuck out like stars in the dark static sky. He was relived to see some other form of life, but he wasn't sure whether it was safe to approach them or not, and so he tried to stay back, and he thought that it was best not to look at their eyes. 

Never look an Enderman in the eye.

yes... that was what he remembered hearing. wait a second, he remembered something?! a spark of hope flared in Grian's chest. perhaps he hadn't lost all of his memories. Endermen... that's what the things were called. now where had he heard that from? he said the word "Enderman" out loud to himself, hoping that it would somehow spark some more memories, but he was disappointed to find that it didn't. and yet, it felt so familiar, as if he had known the word all his life. it rolled off his tongue so naturally. he sat there for a few more seconds pondering where he had heard "Enderman", but he had no luck in recalling the memory, and eventually gave up.

He let out a small sigh and decided that maybe he should get up and look around. He stumbled up to his feet. his legs felt weak and wobbly, but he managed to stand up. And this was the first time he noticed a weight on his shoulders. it wasn't really heavy, yet it was there. Something soft and feathery pressed just against his back. He glanced behind him in confusion, and was astonished to see what was there. On his back was a pair of wings, soft and silky looking. They were light, and purplish blue in color. He found that he could move them as easily as he could more any other part of his body. They were attached to him.

Grian was astonished. He may not remember anything, but he was pretty sure those weren't there before... they didn't give him the same strange sense of familiarity as everything else. No- these were new. Speechless, he brought his hand over his shoulder and touched one of the delicate wings. It was the softest thing he had ever felt. 

"Wow..." He whispered to himself. Part of him wanted to try them out, but he knew he would most likely get himself hurt. He would have to wait to try them out. Grian had been so deep in thought, focused on the discovery of his new wings that he had forgotten he was planning to go and look around. He snapped himself back to reality, and glanced around at the barren looking landscape of this place. He had no idea which direction to go... everything looked the same.

A small bit of panic began to sink in. What if Grian never found his way out? What was he meant to do? His wings twitched slightly with anxiety. But no. He couldn't think like that. There had to be something else out here other than tall purple plants and Endermen.