Chapter #4: The Orb

A few Months later.....

It was a chilly morning. Grian wasn't sure how long he had been building. For most of the building process, he just sorta Zoned out, placing blocks without even thinking. It was only interrupted when he toke a step back to look at his progress. sometimes hours can feel like only a few minutes. When he finally decided to give it a break, it was already nighttime again. He had created a whole new layer and three white concrete pillars around his futuristic build.

It sorta looked like a futuristic cake with it's layers. Grian smiled. If his base was a cake, then Mumbo's was a... giant cookie?? No, that didn't really work. He flew over again to the shopping district, and restocked the small cart he had built. It was a tiny shop, but it worked. He shoveled all the sand and gravel out of the shulker boxes and into the chests. All of these resources were valuable... It felt a little bad to be giving all of it up when Grian knew he could use it for other building projects, but he also needed diamonds. Really badly. Almost all of his diamond tools were broken beyond repair, and he didn't have enough mending books for all of them. And so this is what he had to do.

Once he was done restocking his shop, he flew back to his base. He felt pride swell up inside of him as he looked at the new parts he had built. The new layer fit in so perfectly with everything else. 

However, when he landed in his base, there was something in there that he was not expecting. There was a blue colored shulker box, sitting in the center of his base, right next to the glowing beam of his beacon. 

"I know I didn't put that there..." he muttered out loud to himself. If he had, he would've placed it closer to his other storage. This was probably a gift (or maybe a prank) from one of the other Hermits. But he had only been gone for a few minutes, and he hadn't seen anyone around. Perhaps whoever did it was just very sneaky. And so he flew down to see what was inside. he opened it up, expecting to find a diamond or something, but instead was greeted by stacks of obsidian. Obsidian???

What was he supposed to do with this? Who even had the time to collect all this? He continued to dig through the contents of the box, searching for a note, or a book or something. but instead, as he shuffled through all of the obsidian, his hand struck something strangely airy and soft. The winged Hermit's blood ran cold as he lifted the object out into the open air. It was an orb. An orb just like one he had found in his inventory when he had woken up in the End.... except this one was different. 

there was a strange symbol etched into the rounded shining surface of the orb. two letter Ls, with dots at the top of them, arranged to make a rectangular shape. It was an Evo symbol. In shock and fear, Grian flinched, dropping the orb, and letting it fall to the hard ground, creating a thudding noise that seemed rather loud in his large quiet base.

But almost instantly after he did that, he scooped it up, hiding it between his fingers, and close to his chest. He could not let any of the Hermits see this. His heart was thumping rapidly as he held the orb in his sweating palms. The panic in him rose quickly. He wasn't thinking clearly anymore. He felt that there was only one thing he had to do. He was going to burn it. In the Nether. He nearly tripped over his own feet as he stumbled franticly into the swirling purple portal. His wings fluttered nervously as the world blurred into a purple haze.

Grian stepped out onto the other side of the portal into the hellish landscape known as the Nether. He took a second to look around and make sure that nobody else was there, and when he realized that there wasn't, he sprinted through the very unfinished Nether hub, and tried to remember where the nearest lava pool was. 

He had just finally spotted a glimpse of bright glowing orange, when a shriek cut through the hot flame dried air. a fireball came speeding past him, burning with intense heat. He stared at it for a brief second before leaping out of the way.  It nearly burnt his right cheek. He had just barely gotten out of the way of the explosion.