Chapter #2: Welcome to Hermitcraft

A couple of hours later, Grian was standing outside the End City, glancing down at the beautiful purple shells in his inventory. He felt so... accomplished. It had been really difficult collecting these. The Shulkers had a magic effect called levitation, that would send the players floating into the air. Grian had gotten hit by the shulker bullets a few times, but luckily, Xisuma had given him a bucket of water, so that he could place it just as he was falling, and not take any damage. 

He could've probably tried to use his wings instead, but he still didn't know how to use them properly, and If he had tried, he would have most likely gotten hurt. and besides shulker shells, End Cities also contained chests of loot. When Grian had first opened a chest, he had been in awe at the glorious treasure. "so many diamonds!!" he exclaimed.

"yeah, End City loot is some of the best." Xisuma said, "You can't find enchanted diamond armor spawn naturally anywhere else."

"woah..." Grian had said as he held a diamond helmet in his hand. It was shimmering with the purple glow of enchantment. He read the label of the helmet out loud. "Protection 4, Unbreaking 3."

"oh, not bad." 

He put the helmet on his head, feeling slightly more protected. 

"My first piece of armor..." he said quietly into the cold End air.

"You've never worn armor before?"

"Well, I mean, I probably have... I just can't remember it..."

"Ok..." Xisuma sounded like he was about to ask more, but he was interrupted by the distorted sounding hiss of a shulker, and one of it's floating bullets came at him. He dodged the bullet, and swung at it with his sword at it in one fluid motion.

"also, why exactly is this place called an 'End' city?..."

"Well, The dimension we're in is called The End, since it's the place that a lot of people come to when they have better armor and weapons, to take down the Ender dragon on the main Island."

"Oh, well that makes sense. It also explains why those creatures are called Endermen."

"yeah."

Grian was snapped out of the memory by the voice of Xisuma.

"are you coming?" He was already walking ahead of Grian, out into the Barren End Landscape.

"oh yeah, sorry. I just got distracted, he said, running a little to catch up to Xisuma.

"Oh that's alright.

The two walked kept walking, turning and twisting around the large purple plants. It was strangely silent. 

"Hey, uh, Xisuma... what now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like, where do we go now... are you just going to leave me behind? I mean, It's not like we really know each other very well... I doubt you'd want me coming with you..." Grian's voice trailed off as he stared blankly down at the floor.

Xisuma turned around and looked at him. there was a small pause before he replied, "Well... I don't really want to just abandon you. It seems like you don't really have a home to go to... how about... you could come to the overworld with me?"

Grian didn't know what the "Overworld" was, but it sounded like a nice place.

"alright." 

"Great! we're going to Hermitcraft!"

"Hermit what??"

"Hermitcraft. It's a server."

"...a server..." Grian thought back to the broken communicator he had found in his inventory. He must've been part of a server once. He wondered if the people there realized he was gone, and were looking for him. Or maybe something really terrible happened, and the server doesn't exist anymore. Maybe that's why he couldn't remember it.