Chapter IV: Imposition

Suga came to Daegu without having the slightest idea what his dad wanted to talk to him about, and he was definitely not prepared for what was about to happen.

His mother had prepared his favorite meal for dinner and the three of them gathered at the dining table. His dad was not the expressive type, but tonight he looked more stoic than usual. By now, Yoongi knew that he had been summoned to address a very serious topic, but he still had no idea what it could be about.

Mom: Yoongi, have you been doing okay? How is your job going?

Yoongi: Everything is fine, Mom. With the members we are working hard promoting our album and we are also working on new music.

Mom: Good, son. You know that for us that dream of yours was an unattainable goal, but you have proven us wrong.

Suga smiled.

Yoongi: Thank you mom, I will continue to work hard and earn a lot of money. I will buy you a house and help you start a business.

Dad: I'm glad to know that you're all set (he interrupted him). You are a man now and a very responsible one, it seems to me.

Yoongi felt validated by his father's words, but at the same time he sensed something strange behind his words.

They began to eat in silence, but the atmosphere was quite heavy. Suga urged his dad to get straight to the point, as neither of them were good with lame talk.

And so it was, his father straightly told him that he had to marry you. Suga looked at him in complete disbelief, his dad had gone crazy.

His mother decided to give him some context and explained what had happened when he was a child. Also, arranged marriages in their society were not strange, you were a good woman and both families were very fond of each other.

Yoongi didn't deny that you were a good person but made it clear to his parents that he was completely focused on his career, which was just taking off. He had no interest in having a relationship with you or anyone else. In fact, he didn't even consider getting married, his muse was music alone.

The conversation grew more and more agitated. His father did not have the patience to dialogue, he wanted Yoongi to know that it was a decision made that he simply had to abide by. But he was completely opposed.

Yoongi: There must be some way to break that engagement. I'm sure if you talk to aunt and uncle, they will understand. Y/n is very pretty, intelligent and a good person, she can marry whoever she wants.

Dad: How can you say such a thing?! We can't cancel that engagement now!

Then they began to discuss about the loan. There was no doubt that there was guilt involved over not being able to repay the loan after more than a decade, and breaking the engagement was even more embarrassing for the family; how could they ever look at their friends in the faces again.

Suga was aware of the debt, but he was not steeped in the details, or how much they really owed.

Yoongi: If the problem is that debt, then leave it to me and I will pay it. Tell me now how much it is!

Dad: Ah! So, you are going to take over the debt. How great. (He said sarcastically).

Yoongi: Yes, I'll take care of it! Tell me how much it is!

His father, very angrily, yelled the amount at his face; it was a wild sum. Your family had given them too much during all those years, without pressuring them to pay. Suga's eyes widened in surprise, he was speechless for a moment. He realized that he could not pay that debt, or at least not yet, it would take years to get the money with his salary. He thought of lending money to his P.D, but it was too much, no one would lend him that amount.

Dad: Are you going to pay right now? Let me call your uncles so you can sign them a check. (He continued with the sarcasm).

Suga looked down, he knew he had lost the argument.

Yoongi: Thats right, dad. I don't have that money with me right now, but I promise I'll get it.

Dad: Sounds perfect to me, that's how it should be. Regarding the wedding, now that Y/n is in Seoul you should get engaged and get married as soon as possible-

Yoongi: Dad, Mom, please! I do not want to marry Y/n, I promise that I will work hard to pay the debt, but do not force me to marry!

Mom: Son, please understand, it is not an option.

Yoongi: But-

Dad: No more excuses Min Yoongi! As soon as you return to Seoul you are going to give Y/n a ring so that she and her family know that you are going to take this seriously. She has been waiting for you for three years-

Yoongi: Three years? (He interrupted, very surprised). Has she known about this arrangement for that long?

Mom: That's right son. We already told you that her family has taken this commitment with all the formality and discussed it with her since she was 16. You left Daegu at 18, but she always trusted that you would honor the pact.

Suga fell silent, trying to process all the information. He remembered what you two had lived the night before, and also what had happened between the two of you last year. All that time you had been aware that he was your fiancé, although he had no idea. He wondered how genuine you had been with your reactions and your intentions, he felt deceived by everyone, manipulated even.

He was extremely annoyed, but his father gave him no chance to discuss anything. It was all said on his part, he would have to marry you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: This fanfic is also posted on YouTube and TikTok. You can find me as BangtaniesFics.