Chapter VI: Abnegation

You had spent the night crying over what happened with Yoongi. The next day you decided to call your mom and asked her if it was possible to cancel the engagement.

Mom: Whats wrong, my daughter? Why are you bringing this up now? Did something happen?

Y/n: No mom, it's just that I've been thinking about it. You know that Yoongi and I are like siblings. Although I go over it in my mind, I can't imagine myself married to him. We have different kind of feelings.

Mom: Don't be silly, baby.

Y/n: But mom, an arranged marriage in this day and age...

Mom: Many people continue to marry like this in our culture. There's nothing wrong. At least youve known Yoongi your whole life, he knows you from my belly. It's not like we fixed a marriage blindly.

Y/n: But mom, we don't have romantic feelings or interest in each other. What kind of marriage would that be?

Mom: You young people have strange ideas about marriage, you are so influenced by fairy tales and romance dramas. Daughter, it is true that the starting point in an arranged marriage is not a feeling like love, but I assure you that it develops while living together, and it can become stronger than a relationship that grew out of mere passion.

Y/n: How would you know, mom? Dad and you chose to marry because you loved each other, you were not forced.

Mom: Daughter, don't see it as an obligation. Your parents love you deeply, you are our treasure. We wish the best for your future. We would never accept this association if we thought that Min Yoongi is a bad man. We are sure that together, you both can overcome anything and are going to be very happy, you'll see.

You kept on insisting, but it seemed like your mom wasn't listening to you. She had an argument for everything you said to her. It was useless. After hanging up, you took the box in your hands and looked at the ring, it was too cute, but you decided you would never wear it. You closed the box and started crying again.

Two months passed and you hadnt spoken to Suga again. You had already gotten used to campus life and became friends with a small group. You were trying to be a normal young woman, while that ring was forgotten in a drawer. Life on campus was hectic, but interesting. There were several foreign students and that fascinated you, you liked learning about their cultures and customs.

But peacefulness could not last forever. The Min family came to Seoul to see Suga and rush him into the marriage. They did not know that he had already given you the ring, they found out once they got there.

They were staying at a hotel, and they invited you to dinner with all of them. You didn't want to see Yoongi, but you couldn't turn down your uncles. You dressed up nicely and showed up at the hotel. Dinner would be in the room for privacy reasons. Suga was clear that he did not want to expose his family to paparazzi or crazy fans, especially if it was to talk about marriage, so the hotels restaurant was not an option.

The atmosphere in the room was tense. Yoongi's mom complimented you to make you smile, especially since she noticed that Suga hadn't even greeted you, and neither had you greeted him.

His brother was there too, so you were talking to him. With Jay (that's what you called him) you were 5 years apart, but you always got along well.

Dinner was supposed to be a celebration for the engagement, but you didn't even wear the ring. Everyone had noticed, your uncles were concerned about your attitude and Suga got a little upset.

When dinner was over, they ordered dessert and while waiting for it, Jay called Yoongi aside to chat.

Yoongi: What's up, hyung? What do you want to talk to me about?