Chapter Nine

My day off from work I decide to spend filming in the garden – wishing to stay out of the mansion. So I brush my hair out, deciding not to tie it up today. I wrap myself with a baby blue scarf just in case it gets chilly, and I wear some blue jeans and a white blouse. I even had time to paint my nails and do some light makeup. Definitely not trying to impress the demon in the mansion with the wings I've masterfully decorated my eyes with to a devasting effect.

I skip my way down the stairs, hearing noises coming from the laundry.

Curious, I make my way there first. When I look in, Claudius Fontaine is in full view, filling a picnic basket by the sink. And yeah I'm entranced by the effort he's going to. I watch with wide eyes through the window of the see-through door.

When I edge the door open, Fontaine looks over his shoulder at me – quietly pleased to see me so soon.

"What's up, Fontaine?" I ask, casually walking in and leaning back against the wall.

"For the day off, I thought you'd like to explore the back of my property, over the hill, into the trees, about a ten minute short walk there's a small pond with a boat. Bring your camera."

Claudius is even wearing a dang hat. And he's dressed up – with these shoulder straps on and a new white shirt, and new shoes. Did he go shopping in a demon mall or something with the XP points in kissing me last night?

I do wonder.

"Are you taking me on a date?" I ask, the kind of obvious question..

"Just showing you around," Claudius says, finally turning toward me with a mischievous but friendly smirk, "You wanted the day off... so spend it with me."

"Hmm," I pretend to consider, my fingers tickling under my chin as I decide, "Just stay out of arm's reach. No holding hands...."

Claudius's eyebrow twitches a little but he ignores that altogether as he adds, "We'll row together," Claudius adds, "If the boat still works, that is," now his eyes sparkle and he smiles wider as he turns around to open the door to the outside, where he shows me a pair of boots by the door waiting for me, "Wear these to protect you from the mud," he adds, more a command.

"Yes, sir... you're very prepared," I shrug and whisper my excitement. I'm okay with this.

At least we could get out of this empty mansion. And somehow, I felt more comfortable knowing the truth about him. I could still enjoy him, as long as I kept my distance.

Plus this pond would be a great addition to the vlog I had planned today anyway.

As Claudius stands outside I decide I'm going to take as many pictures of him as possible.

I snap one real quick while he isn't looking, and when I glance at the photo – he's not in it, but a strange discrepancy in the image shows a shadow on the floor where he stands, like two dark spots. Great start.

I walk out onto the porch and grab the pair of boots that seem to fit me just fine. I grab some fruit to bring along with us, and Fontaine carries the basket. I can't believe we're going on a date, I mean, it was kind of sweet seeing him in this gentler light! I keep a healthy distance from Fontaine anyway, as he leads the way into the trees out back.

****

It's the most pleasant stroll, and Fontaine says nothing – neither do I. We just enjoy the dewy nature, as we head on over the hill and follow an overgrown path, all the way down toward a pond with a small dock. An old boat is upside down on the grass, but it looks intact and looked after by Robert.

Claudius flips it over and finds the two oars underneath, protected from the rain.

He throws over a blanket for my seat, then stands back and allows me to step in before he pushes the boat into the water. I take a video of the whole thing, curious how the footage will look later – if it will show him or not. As his own boots sink into the water, Claudius jumps in and proceeds to give the boat some propulsion with the oar. He rows us further out, and we float off into the middle of the pond with the lily pads and croaking frogs surrounding us. A few large willow trees also provide some shade as the sun starts to rise up further.