The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Six

Alix's POV

I wake up halfway through the night because I need to pee. I turn to see Claudius is actually asleep and he's lying on his back, dreaming as his eyes move behind is lids. I sit up and look down at him for a bit, wondering what an incubus even dreams of. At the same time, I sweetly think that Claudius is a ghost who lived for me. I was a bit too bratty with him... and most of it came from insecurity.

In Claudius I see a man who lusts for immortality and ego, but who also has a thread of mortal compassion... because he wants me to live uncorrupted this time. Innocent and free while also his.

I didn't know who was more selfish sometimes, him or I. We did have many similarities; a little sex obsessed and hot-headed.

I can envision my future with Claudius. Even if it'll be hard and almost impossible... I don't regret showing him interest at the Red Wing as he haunted me.

Our relationship was going to be difficult now but I wasn't going to give up. I already feel awfully guilty about threatening to break up with him, even mentioning a divorce, simply to enrage him. Especially after he waited centuries.

But to be fair to myself, the reason I was so off-put, was because I had been shaken by Pearly's violent end to her marriage. All because of my incubus husband and his demonic intervention into their mortal marriage.

I will accept one thing, I was married to a demon and some twisted part of me enjoyed the danger. But to hear Pearly had been so hurt by her brother's greed and ego and lust for competition... it makes me uncomfortable. I left Claudius to be with Aelia and he went crazy. So was I responsible for Pearly's suffering as well? So many wonderings... I look at the wall opposite me and I see a standing clock, the time is 3.30am.

3.30.

Exactly 3.30.

My brain subconsciously remembered this time.

Kamy had befriended Dagger Spellman. She talked to him each night at this time in the guest room... well, well, well. It makes sense now. That was the guest room I haphazardly ran into earlier! There had been a bookcase in the corner that I didn't take any interest in.

The way Dagger Spellman appeared over me still freaked me out. I barely had time to see him in his old dark brown suit and white frilly collar. He had styled black hair. Grey-blue eyes. Not too dissimilar to Fontaine, which would part-way explain jealousy or a potential rivalry between them.

However, Dagger also had a different energy altogether.

While Claudius had been a ghost with no real intention at first, Dagger seemed violent. Sad and angry.

Ah. I need to pee, I can't hold it in any longer.

I slip from the bed and I walk into the connecting bathroom, not looking at any particular corners or spaces because I don't want to see Dagger again. I don't think he liked me every much.

Without interruption, I clean up at the sink and then I look at my reflection to briefly fix my unruly and long wavy hair. I tuck it behind my ears and I turn to the door, reaching out to grab the door knob.

My fingers push through what feels like ice and my hand appears to go a little blurry.

I start to see formation of fingers, a second hand, turning – clasping and holding onto my fingers.

The cool grip is unshakable, as I jerk back, Dagger is solid.

I look up but this time Spellman isn't smiling like a maniac, he's just staring at me without expression.