Chapter Twenty-Two

9.45pm

I may or may not have a date, I said, to my parents. They may or may not have been pleasantly surprised, if a little awkward about it. And my friend Pam, well, by this stage she was feeling left out, and I didn't blame her, my attention was skewed.

However, I did promise to tell her all about it when I returned later that night.

Claudius Fontaine is waiting for me outside the reception, with a grey scarf tucked around his neck over his grey suit. He is wearing black gloves now and as I get closer, I distinctly notice his eye lashes sparkling with mist from the cold front that just came in, bringing summer rain and some rapid thunderstorms.

An hour ago I sent through the final pictures to Claudius, to then forward onto the couple.

He hadn't shared his opinion on my photography skills, so I was waiting for it now.

"Hopefully the quality of the pictures, outweighs the trouble of me being late this morning," I start, with my arms crossed. I was cold and had no coat or spare warm clothes. I was wearing jeans and a love metal music t-shirt I bought. I didn't even like metal. But it was just holiday gear, so... oh well?

"They were perfect, the bride approved," Claudius holds out a hand to me, "You're hired."

I keep my arms crossed, but my eyes widen as I look down at his offered hand.

I don't hesitate a moment longer, I reach out and shake it, "Thank you," I feel pleasantly surprised. Also, his gloves stop any magical ice-cold feeling from transmitting between us, so the handshake is warm and firm.

I start to smile, and Claudius Fontaine certainly looks like he wishes he could remain annoyed with me, but I see him look... happy. At least for a split moment, before he turns his eyes toward the Rolls Royce, and this time he opens the passenger side for me.

No longer business, but pleasure. Great start.

I slip into his car and he slams the door shut.

I'm truly excited and I don't know where this date by the moonlight will be, but I'm sure it'll be romantic.

Claudius hops in the car and as we roll off, I see a familiar figure waiting at the park's exit.

Standing looking lonely, Pam holds up a sign that says 'BEHAVE – AND GOOD LUCK, LOVE YOU' she gives me a thumbs up and does a little dance and I immediately sink down into my seat, hoping Claudius doesn't read the sign.

But of course, he looks right at her farewelling me.

"Have you never been on a date before, darling?" Claudius guesses.

"Pssh, ah..." I have no idea how to answer that. I was a virgin, "Pam is just eccentric, got to love her," I keep slouched in the seat as we drive off.

"It seems everyone you know thinks you should behave," Claudius picks up on that fact, as we drive off into the pitch-black country road, no street lights, only the headlights.

I sit up and watch lightning strike in the far distance.

"...like I said... I'm a bit of a brat... and sometimes I'm impulsive... and sometimes I'm short tempered...?" I really should shut up, this wasn't exactly good news to share, so I stare out at the clouds instead, "I wish I brought my camera. Thanks again for the job."

"You're welcome, Alix," Claudius Fontaine drives into the dark, and I wonder where he is taking me but luckily he answers my thoughts, "We're going to a Lakehouse. Five stars. Don't worry, it's not overly fancy, but the food is delicious."