Chapter Ten

I delay with the bath, by choosing to clean the attic. I don't care that it was my day off. It wasn't a part of the plan, but I also felt like it was a good way to get away from Claudius and have some space. After the pond this morning, and seeing his memory... I wanted to explore a bit anyway.

I find a crawl space above a wardrobe, which I stand on top of to reach the ceiling. I arm myself with cleaning equipment and a torch and my phone, then I hoist myself up and close the space back up.

I made sure not to leave a trace of which direction I had gone, so this was my chance to be alone for a little bit.

The intriguing thing, which I did not expect – is the attic is not empty.

I swivel on my knees and light up the space with my torch, only for my jaw to drop.

Dresses. Suits. Things that would be considered costumes today, but this is real heritage fashion.

I stand up and breathe in the stale air, shuffling forward very slowly to observe all the preserved clothing, there was so much of it, which Robert must have stored away, or his parents did.

This would be great content for my vlog. I take a video with my phone, and pictures too, walking slowly so I don't cause too much noise or disturb the dust.

Eventually I am drawn toward a beautiful wooden red chest. I open it up, and what's inside is a perfectly folded white wedding dress.

Etched into the wood of the chest is a name.

Aelia.

My fingers had been about to touch the material, but now my fingers curl back into my palm and I sit back on my heels.

I take a few photos, a strange lump in my throat.

On top of the wedding dress is another small box – for jewellery. I snap it open carefully, inside is a pearl necklace and diamond ear rings – and multiple gem stone rings. On the box is a handwritten note. Circus Gypsy. I'm confused if it's from a circus, or if it's the brand of jewellery. I place it all down and carefully lift the dress to see if anything else is underneath.

White shoes, lace lingerie... and strangely enough, as I pick it up, my elbow knocks one of the shoes over – and a dagger falls out of it. This tiny dagger has dried blood all over it – it's so old it's turned from a rust brown to almost black.

Before I pick up the hidden dagger, I hear the boards creak behind me.

Oh, no.

I drop the dress over everything and slam the chest shut. Why do I feel guilty?!

When I turn around with my torch lighting the way, Fontaine is simply standing at the hatch I climbed up, and he looks furious.

"It was never stated in the contract that you had to clean up here," he says so quietly, I can barely comprehend any emotion. He's pissed.

"Oh – oh, I..." I snap my mouth shut with that look that is on his face. I can't argue my way out of this one. I quickly stand up with my torch and phone, "I'll get down right away."

I walk forward toward him. Fontaine lifts the hatch and waits for me to climb back down.

I sit down on the edge, dangling my feet through.

I look up at Claudius with wide guilty eyes – no idea why I feel so intimidated for simply exploring. I just didn't know I would come across any of this. Clearly they were precious family heirlooms that survived the fire.

"I didn't know you were going to get married," I murmur to his ankles, and I lower myself down to the wardrobe below. When I land on top, the hatch above me slams shut.