Chapter Twenty-Four

My parents decided to drive Pam home and they weren't returning until tomorrow at noon, so I had all night to run away with Fontaine on our risky little date – if I so chose to be his all night. And of course, I did choose. I couldn't resist!

I knew the general risk of dallying with an incubus was kind of bordering on madness, but my curiosity was getting the best of me; we had a past and I wanted to know everything about it.

The marriage certificate said it all.

Plus, I needed to get my friendship bracelet back off Fontaine anyway, right?

And I just read Pam's letter before making my way up to his cabin at the front of the Holiday Park.

Her words were sweet as pumpkin pie.

My witchy aunt always has accurate advice and premonitions, well I asked her about you, and she told me all your anxieties will go away if you dare; dare to be wild, dare to chase your dreams, whatever they may be, do not hesitate, go for it, Alix. Don't be afraid. Love – Your Best Friend, Pam.

Her sweet and simple message had boosted my confidence a thousand fold.

And I had three immediate goals now.

I wanted to be the best photographer. This new job allowed me a chance to do something I could enjoy and make a living from.

I also wanted to learn about my past – all of it.

And I wanted Fontaine.

So here I was, daring.

Dressed in jeans and a pink top Pam left for me as another gift, I make my way to Fontaine's cabin feeling wonderful – aside from the dirty sneakers, but I had no other shoes and my flip flops didn't seem to be appropriate dress attire to a gymnastics' tournament.

I check my phone. 6.55pm.

I'm right on time as I walk up the cobbled path to his door from his free-standing luxury cabin.

I knock. I hear Fontaine's boots walking toward the door, and I straighten my back, preparing for our next interaction.

The doorknob turns and I immediately see that Fontaine has his grey scarf, leather gloves but a brand new black suit on – and he looks like a model ready for a shoot.

His blue eyes are too blue, it's not fair!

His black hair just lies perfect forevermore, pushed back off his forehead.

Wah! I felt like I was dating a celebrity!

Well. One I had a kinky strange otherworldly past with.

"Husband," I test the word.

It clearly takes Fontaine off guard, as I notice his demeanour shift – even when his expression remains void.

He looks me over and drawls, "At least you tried," he speaks of the pink top.

"Courtesy of the greatest friend in the universe, Pamela," I smile even wider.

"You're in a good mood, Alix, good," Fontaine doesn't step aside to let me in, but he does step out of his cabin to shut the door, lock it and turn to me, holding his car keys.

"We have to go right now?" I ask, slightly flabbergasted, "I thought the event started at 8 –"

"Yes, we have to go," Fontaine finally shows a small amount of amusement, "What would we do in there, anyway?" he looks me over one more time, his eyes cheeky and the question both flirtatious and rhetoric, "You agreed to the terms?"