The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Three

"Dagger Spellman is long dead," Tiffany answered my call, and she told me all about him when I enquired, "He is buried at the Pearl Wing, but you can't just raise the dead, he's probably bones and dust by now anyway. How we turned into vampires was the draining of all our blood... Aelia performed a ritual while we lay lifeless, then we woke as vampires. The process is a secret. Only those initiated into the roles of Turning can create supernatural creatures. It involves dark spells. Perhaps, being a mortal, you'll see his ghost at night. Talk with him then. I'm sure he's accepted his death."

"A ghost that haunts has not accepted anything," I argue.

"True. But what man would accept that which happened to Spellman? The way he was killed. Taken from the love of his life. Oh I better go... Rudy is giving me that look," Tiffany laughs, "Good chat, see you tomorrow? Claudius and Rudolph want to go golfing at the King's Green Range."

Golfing. I try not to laugh at how ridiculous that looks in my mind – Fontaine with a golf club, on a buggy.

"I'd love to hang," I tell her, "See you tomorrow."

"See you, darl."

I end the call and recline back in a bay window of a drawing room downstairs. It's got basic furniture, nothing electronic – not even lights. But there is a fireplace. The ceilings are again high, and the walls are an antique off-red. I don't particularly like the colour, but it looks original. I had been drawn to this historical room, because of the unique bay window next to the garden.

It's lightly raining now against the windowpane as I hear a flurry down the stairs, three sets of feet scampering quickly.

I look out into the corridor and I see Kamy, Ethel and Florence, dressed in normal clothes, luggage filled – being kicked out. They look confused and distressed. I just got them fired.

I suddenly feel awful, but at the same time, I'm not going to invite them to stay.

Maybe if they were just maids – but Fontaine employed them to drain their life-energy – and as silly as it may sound, that made me extremely jealous. Because I knew his touch turned women on. Ethel and Florence walk together for the front door. A chauffer is preparing to drive them out of the property into town I assume.

Kamy has spotted me staring and she quickly approaches me, wearing a pretty pink dress. Her eyes look watery.

This is going to be awkward... I stiffen as she stops halfway in her approach to me and she opens her mouth, "...I have to tell you a secret before I'm gone."

I blink. Oh. I thought she was coming to yell at me.

"What?" I ask gently.

Kamy shuffles closer, pursing her lips, she seems nervous to speak, "If I tell you. Don't tell Claudius," Kamy asks me, "Please."

"I'll keep it a secret," I promise.

"Okay. At 3.30am, every night, a man walks the halls and inspects every room – but it's not just any man, it's the ghost of the Pearl Wing," Kamy admits this to me, "I befriended this ghost in the last guest room, with the old bookcase. He stands there to touch the old books, one night I saw him and I tried speaking to him – he heard me, then we started to talk. And we talked every night. He's very sad. He'd also be very sad to know I'm gone – not because he cared for me, but he has no one to speak with. He's an intelligent man. A very curious one, actually. Not like men today. He's slow... and considerate. I don't know what his history is, he won't tell me, he won't even tell me his name – however, he has many secrets and I think he needs help. But he's dead, so how to help? Perhaps just company. Speak to him in my absence? If ghosts don't scare you, that is. And if this all sounds like nonsense, I'm sorry for wasting your time, Alix. And I... I can understand why we've been dismissed. We expected it eventually when we heard Fontaine had you. I hope you enjoy your stay at the Pearl Wing."