Chapter Twenty-Eight

24 hours later

After Claudius and I casually watched the Red Wing Mansion burn down together – we returned to Koff's Holiday Park in a powerful silence.

All that fire and all that smoke – our past discretions burned away with it.

We were going to start a brand-new story.

No longer tied to the haunted mansion – but a romance on our own terms.

However, Claudius had taken me to his front door only to abruptly direct me off back home to my own cabin after he received an urgent phone call in the middle of the night. I'm guessing the fire brigade were involved by this time.

I still remember the scowl on Claudius' face, but I don't know what really happened because he had not told me.

So, I just left. I went back to my cabin, slept alone and my parents didn't return until noon the next day. Even by this next afternoon, Claudius still hadn't reached out to me – but I noticed visitors pulling up outside Cabin 72.

Guests.

At 10pm.

I sit on the porch outside, staring out into the distance of the Holiday Park, and looking at how all the lights are on in his luxury residence.

When more Rolls Royce pull up – multiple visitors – I wonder if he just forgot about a late-night car show... if that was even a thing? Although car meet ups were common in country towns, I just don't understand why they are meeting at his cabin at 10pm?

Yes, I've waited this long for answers or communication and not reached out on my own.

Why?

I just wanted Fontaine to come to me when he was ready. We went through a lot of crazy shit last night. All my memories came back. He decided he wanted to save my soul – romantically. And I'm guessing he needed space...?

My parents were already in bed, thinking I would also be sleeping in my room.

But I snuck out here... because something more was nagging at me.

I felt wiser now – and I knew Claudius Fontaine better than I ever did at any other point in the past.

He was strict, disciplined and also dangerous – his own desire to become an incubus was risky and so he had that side of him. Naturally, a sexy stubborn annoyingly perfect asshole – and now a true force of unholy nature. A demon who had everything he could want.

So, what could possibly have caught his full and undivided attention that I had suddenly been thrust aside?

I knew deep down it had nothing to do with me, but I was still curious.

And I was still a headstrong annoyingly perfect brat girlfriend – uh, I mean wife – and I wanted to know what the hell was going on.

I wear my dirty old sneakers, a pair of ripped jeans and an oversized pyjama top. Mostly because the plan wasn't to intrude or barge in on the mysterious Claudius Fontaine.

The plan... was to simply take a quick peep... into one of the windows, just to glimpse what on Earth was happening inside that cabin.

It's not just myself that I bring – but my camera.

I just have a funny feeling... and let's be honest, I had no true power over Fontaine if he decided to do something crazy. I had his heart and I had his, but he was also a dick, and I had no idea what he was capable of after 300 years being an incubus.