Chapter Twenty-Five

He led her over to the table with the demon of the hour. The demon  sat on one side. Lorcan slipped into the side across from him, dragging his mate down with him.

It took her maybe three seconds to remember he was an Inferno demon, commonly referred to as a fire demon. She saw it in the glowing runes across his skin. The humans would mistake them for freakishly cool tattoos. She knew an Inferno demon or two on a friendly level.

This one was muscular with messy copper hair and bright green eyes. He looked friendly enough. Friendlier than Lorcan, easily. His gaze raked across Evie. She saw something akin to recognition in those green eyes.

"Evie, this is Caspian. Cas, this is Evie." Before she could so much as open her mouth, he squeezed her thigh and gave her a look of warning.

No games. Right.

"So, what can I do for you today Lorcan?" The demon asked.

"Claudio didn't tell you already?"

Evie's brows shot up. "King Claudio?"

The werewolf scowled at her. "Don't go getting any ideas."

"No, I'm just saying I know him. We're friends, actually."

Lorcan turned to Caspian for confirmation. "She's telling the truth. He had her captive about sixty years ago."

"So you know me?" Evie asked, acting like a certain werewolf wasn't losing his shit beside her.

"Course, Evette. I've heard a lot about you."

"Captive," Lorcan said slowly.

She sighed as if he were wasting her time. "Yes, Lorcan, captive. I told you you're not my first." The plan to throttle her was sound. "Sixty years ago. Is that how long it's been? Bloody hell. It feels like yesterday." To Lorcan, she said, "He let me go when push came to shove. He liked me too much. I was supposed to be a ransom, you see. In the end, he became a friend. Maybe you'll follow in his lead." No chance. Lorcan was never going to be her friend. "How is he, by the way?"

"He's good," The demon answered.

"We're not here to talk about Claudio," Lorcan interrupted darkly. "We're here about the portal. Claudio owes me. Did you bring what we need?"

Caspian revealed two keys. "I did. But he has one rule. He says not to trash it or he'll trash you."

Evie's grin was annoying him. "That sounds like him. Damn. It's been too long. Hey Lorcan, you know before I die, do you reckon I could see him again? I'd really like to rekindle that old friendship. A quick catch up, you know? For old time's sake."

"That's enough from you. Go away for a bit." She smirked at him. "Stay in eyesight, talk to no one, and for God's sake- try anything and you know the consequences."

"Do I get under your skin?"

"Now, Evie." Fully aware that the demon was watching, he grabbed her arm and pulled her down. "Anything inappropriate and I'll make you pay."

"Hmm, what's your definition of inappropriate?" When he started to growl, she raised her hands in surrender. "Sheesh, I get it. I'll learn how to be boring."

"Stay in eyesight."

"Yeah, sure, whatever."

She sauntered away after that, her hips swaying more dramatically than usual. Gods almighty, she had nothing on under that skirt.

"There's a nice arse on that one, isn't there?" Caspian mused.

"Look at her and lose your head."

The demon nodded in understanding. "You're sounding a little possessive there. Anything I should know about?"