Chapter Twenty-Seven

The werewolf left after that. For the first time in four days, Evie found herself alone. She walked around the house for a minute or two, inspecting the place. It was all very King Claudio. The cabin/mansion looked like a hunting lodge. Many of the walls were stone for the aesthetic (with the extra perk of not breaking when immortal showdowns just so happened to occur) with plaster boards over some of the others. The fireplace was huge. Evie considered it a blast from the past. Though the building was modern, it looked like somewhere she'd have seen a few hundred years ago.

She walked for a minute longer before the hairs on the back of her neck began to raise. Something felt wrong.

Experience had her trusting that gut feeling.

She wasn't the mistress of the future for nothing.

In the human world, she might've shrugged it off as paranoia. Only she wasn't in that world anymore. She was back where she belonged. In the Other World, it was vital to follow your gut.

She spared a glance out the window and saw nothing but trees. If something was coming, she was on her own. Her madly strong protection mechanism had left her to go hunt for pizza.

Convenient timing, naturally.

Step one- arming herself. There'd be no digeridoos this time.

She grabbed a decorative sword down from the wall, holding it out in front of her body. She'd wielded a sword before. A smaller sword. This was one made for Claudio, a man easily triple her size.

She stuck close to the wall, hiding when she heard voices.

Cautiously, she peeked around the wall. There were men in the living room. Men that hadn't been there before. They'd obviously teleported somehow- which could only mean one thing. One look at them and she gathered they were vampires. There were fifteen, give or take a few. Two stood out against the others. The leaders, no doubt. One with dark hair and red eyes, the other with muddy blonde hair and red eyes. They were arguing, though everyone else seemed to be awaiting their command.

"Are you sure she's here?" The muddy blonde haired one asked. He had a face like a wet weekend. Evie gathered instantly he was a broody one.

"No, Killian, I'm not- but if they say she's here, then she's here."

"She says a lot of things that aren't true."

The dark haired one rolled his eyes. He crossed towards the door and bent down beside it. "She's here. This must be her stuff."

Killian, the broody one, sneered in the other vampire's direction. "Can we make this quick? The rumours say she's with the werewolf King. I can't be bothered to deal with the werewolves today."

"You can't be bothered or you're scared?"

Clearly, the two vampire leaders didn't get along great.

Evie placed her back against the wall and held her breath. She was no fighter. She'd never been a fighter. She was born and bred for the war rooms. She was a planner. Of course, she could fight. She'd taken on five werewolves just four days ago. But fifteen vampires was pushing it. Fifteen vampires who could teleport. Oh, and not to mention she'd taken another beating just hours ago.

So much for getting a break.

Great. This is great. Just my luck.

"You should watch your tongue Azrael," Killian said. "One of these days, someone's going to rip it out."

"Yeah. You would say that." He scented the air, no doubt smelling her. Vampires were on par with the wolves as far as heightened senses went. "She's here, but the werewolf's gone. Odds are she's chained up somewhere. She won't like that—but it'll make her easier to take."