Chapter Sixty-Four

When Lorcan awoke, he was hit by a feeling he hadn't felt in the better part of a thousand years. It had been so long since he'd slept outside a home, he'd forgotten what it felt like to wake up to the sound of birds with a crisp morning chill biting at his skin. To feel at one with the natural world around him.

He remembered the breeze of all things wild from before when hotels just weren't a thing. From when life had been different. He closed his eyes for a second longer and basked in it, letting his senses tease him.

He could smell her.

He'd never get used to that. He could feel her close to him, her skin cold but strangely warm against his- and the tingles. He'd never get used to the sparks her skin against his elicited.

His mate would've loved the world a thousand years ago, back when sleeping like this was the norm.

A thousand years ago, the world had been a different place. Likewise, he'd been a different man. A thousand years ago, he'd never spent the night with a woman. This morning, he woke up above one.

His mate was still sleeping, exhausted by the night.

Like the last full moon, he couldn't recall anything that'd happened. He racked his brain for memories. He couldn't remember anything after the warlocks changing the moon. By the looks of it, his mate was very much alive.

He allowed himself to relax.

He rolled off her to her side, then took a moment to assess her for harm. That white, blonde hair was knotted, but it was as lovely as ever, splayed out around her. Her shirt and jumper were gone, as was her bra. Beneath a blanket splayed across her, her pale breasts were covered in goosebumps, her nipples taut.

Groping a breast, he assessed the rest of her. Her jeans no longer counted as clothing. Clearly, he'd claimed her in the night and shredded through anything in the way of her sex. He froze, titling her head to the side.

She wore his mark.

Around it, her blood had dried, staining the skin there. The bite had healed, leaving his mark in its place.

He'd only waited a thousand or so years to give it to her.

He whispered her name, waiting for her to stir. She stirred a little, her body brushing against his. Shite. That wasn't good for the down below so early in the morning.

"Evie? Time to get up pet. I need to get you somewhere safe."

She yawned, sleepily blinking awake. When she saw him, she smiled.

"I didn't die."

"I can see that. I wasn't too rough with you, was I?"

"You don't remember?"

She looked strangely upset, and troubled too. Was there something he was supposed to remember?

He shook his head. "I remember telling you to run, but that's it. What happened? Did I hurt you?"

"You saved me. Multiple times actually." She looped her arms around the back of his neck. Whilst she seemed troubled, she was mostly content. "I had some visions whilst I was trying to get away and I crashed the truck. You stopped a tree from crushing me and the truck from blowing up with me in it."

The look she gave him made him puff his chest out. She stared at him with adoration. In turn, he felt pride.

"You did all of this whilst resisting the moon," She continued. "It was pointless in the end. Those sneaky bastards did a barrier spell. They had me trapped in here, thinking you'd lose control and I'd die. You kept fighting it. You resisted your instincts to try and save me."