Chapter Forty-Seven

When it came to his witch, Lorcan meant business. He was hyperaware of her as he scanned the gathering before him, eyes peeling over their number for a weakness.

Brawn against magic was hard on the best of days. What these fuckers didn't know was that Lorcan had a tactical advantage.

They'd threatened his mate.

A threat to her life meant everything inside of him was supercharged.

Lorcan was running on pure power.

"You've come here tonight for Evette, haven't you?"

A moment of silence. Did they know he was the King? They must've, for the leader began to speak. As a rule of thumb, warlocks never spoke.

"She dies tonight."

Probably not the best thing to say to the man mated to her.

His anger skyrocketed.

"I'm afraid we're not going to see eye to eye on this one then," He answered. "See, this specific witch is important to me and my kingdom. If she dies, I'll unleash every single wolf in my power on your armies. I'll hunt you down to extinction. How many are my numbers to yours?"

Huge. The wolves had their own realm for a reason.

"One of you cannot stop seven of us," That central warlock said, his face still unseen.

"You're forgetting that I am a King," Lorcan said, his voice steady. "I have the strength of every wolf in existence." Unlike her, he wasn't afraid. He was doing this for her. She doubted she'd ever find another man to take on a formation of warlocks for her. Annaliese would do it in a heartbeat. Maybe Seth, though he'd probably find a dumb way to worm them both out of it. "I've lived longer than the seven of you put together." He spread his arms out wide. "You can't beat me."

"We're not here to fight you," The warlock said with length. The shadows were eating him up. "We're here for the witch."

"If you hurt her, you'll have two royals wanting your heads on a stick. You might be able to take me, but could you handle both myself and Annaliese?"

What he spoke of left her mind reeling. He'd align with Annaliese for her?

"A threat to her life is a threat to mine. You've had your warning. Now what will you do?"

He wasn't done yet. Lorcan backed her up towards the portal, Caspian at his side. "Before you make your mind up on this, there's probably something you should know." Her heart was beating a hundred miles a minute. Even after she'd left him- after she'd ran away- he was still defending her. He would always defend her. He was still readying to take on an army of warlocks that could kill him at any second now for her.

The guilt hit her like a freight train.

If she'd just stayed inside the portal, none of this would be happening.

"You've challenged the Queen of the werewolves."

The warlocks broke position when one stumbled back. Understanding. They'd challenged a werewolf's mate. Not just any werewolf. They'd challenged the King. Now, he'd fight them without mercy. He'd make them pay.

When his shoulders began to heave, Evie felt the bile rise up her throat. His breathing became louder. He growled. It was followed by the sound of snapping bones.

He was shifting?

The warlocks were too stunned to move.

Like her, they'd probably never seen a shifted werewolf. They were rare. One couldn't shift for 700 years. Even then, it took practice, power and self-control.