Chapter Fifty-Nine

After the success of her meeting, Lorcan kissed her softly and told her he had an errand or two to run. He wouldn't tell her what the errand was. He only reminded her to call if she needed anything. He told her he'd be back for her in a few hours and she'd better be ready.

Ready for what, he never specified.

Troubled by curiosity, she tried not to think about it and instead reflected on her meeting.

It had gone better than expected. No one had tried to fight her, not even the mean looking guys at the back. They'd probably stayed as  spies of some sort, waiting to report back to their people news on their target.

All it did was remind her of the warlock threat. She'd half expected to see one today- but she knew meetings like that weren't really their style. Why they were so adamant, she didn't know. But they drove whatever this was. If they'd leave her alone now, future Evie wouldn't give a shit about them. What part of that was so hard for them to understand?

But they hadn't fought her since the spat outside of the Territories. That was a positive.

For that, she had Lorcan to thank. She knew it was his presence. No one wanted to fight the super-ancient, super-powerful King. They probably wouldn't leave with their life if they tried.

Besides, all monarchs were known for fighting skills. Age and power and all. There'd been two different royals there backing her corner.

She felt rejuvenated.

She recalled what she'd agreed to before the meeting. The werewolf had set his condition and she'd complied.

Whatever they were doing tonight, she was in his hands.

She hurried through getting dressed. After that, it was a case of waiting for her werewolf to come back.

Yep, I'm definitely getting too attached.

She cleared up her room, had another attempt at reading the future for anything on Chronos and Annaliese. One nosebleed later, she settled down with a book near the door.

When she heard the beep of a car horn outside, she rose once more. He was there, their travel truck at the ready. His window was rolled down. With that look on his face, she was waiting for him to say, 'get in loser, we're going shopping'.

"What's this all about?" She asked.

"I'm taking you out, pet. Courting, remember?"

"Courting, hmm. I thought you weren't going to bother. You said something about us being past that."

"You said you want to be courted, so I'll court you."

"Hmm, okay. And do you normally save the courting until after sex?"

He dropped a casual arm out of the window. "You call that sex?"

So, despite her tricky play earlier, he was in a good mood.

"What would you call it, your majesty?"

He shrugged, lips rubbing together. Gods, something about this man was downright erotic. "Foreplay."

"Eager for round two?"

He glanced at her neck, fangs aching. "You have no idea." He licked his aching canine. "And round three and four. Now I've had you, I'm never going to stop wanting you."

He gave the side of the truck a pat. "Hurry up, witch. We have places to be."

"I don't know. Maybe I'll just stand here until you tell me where you're taking me." His eyes narrowed. "For all I know, you might be kidnapping me and dragging me back to your castle."