Chapter Fifty-Five

A familiar woman was stalking her way down familiar halls, long hair billowing around her. Evie knew that woman. She'd recognise her anywhere. All those that served her stayed out of her way, even the vampires. They stuck to the shadows, watching her in a mix of awe and fear. No one wanted to get on her bad side today. No one wanted their blood to boil.

Evie took a deep breath, trying hard to figure out what she was seeing. Thus far, it was pointless. What good would seeing Annaliese walking around do for her? She'd seen Annaliese walk around a million times before. But with a look like that on her face, Evie could tell that the vision Annaliese was angry.

Annaliese was more irritable than usual. Her fingers yearned to kill something. She was leaning more towards the werewolf locked in her basement. Who did he think he was? Didn't he know she was a Queen?

If he didn't know, she'd make him know.

Lorcan stared at his mate carefully. She kept shuffling, struggling to focus. When her eyes were open, he watched them carefully, waiting to see if the rumours were true. Would he see what she was seeing in those pretty blue eyes of hers?

Lorcan could stare at those forever. But it was weird- eerie even. He stared directly into her eyes and she into his, only she seemed to be seeing nothing. Her eyes were unfocused, lost between the present world and the future.

"Do you want him fed, your majesty?"

Annaliese stopped in her tracks, turning to glare at the idiot brave enough to speak to her.

"What I do with my prisoners has nothing to do with you." Someone had presented her with someone to take her anger out on. "Were you given permission to speak to me?"

"N-no, your majesty."

"And is your speaking to me an imperative matter?"

"N-no, your majesty. It's—it's not. I'm sorry. Forgive me, your majesty."

She lifted her hands to punish.

Annaliese wasn't in the mood to be dealing with idiots today. Nothing was going as she'd planned.

Evie wondered what her old friend was thinking. She was getting a grasp for the scene as if she were there herself. Only Annaliese's face was just as hard to understand as ever.

"In future, you'll know better than to speak on matters where you're not needed." She smirked evilly. "We wouldn't want to face the consequences again now, would we?"

"R-right, of course not. I was just- just wondering if I'm, we're, we're supposed to-"

Annaliese gave him a killing look.

Sucked out of the scene. Damn it! Her gaze blurred back onto Lorcan.

He was watching her already, brows drawn.

"Learn anything?"

"Nothing yet. The vision was useless."

"It's not all on you to figure this out, pet. If you don't find anything, we'll figure something else out."

"But I owe you this."

He grabbed her hand. "You don't owe me anything."

Another vision.

Chronos sat in a cell. He was waiting for his ankles and wrists to heal. The bitch had chained him up in silver.

At least she'd taken the chains off him this time. She'd left him too weak to try and get out. This time, he was too tired. But to sleep in an enemy's territory? Not possible.