Chapter Thirty-One

She returned down the stairs an hour later fully dressed with a large lumber jacket propped upon her shoulders. When he scented it, his entire body stiffened.

"What the fuck is that?"

"Fashion. You should look it up."

So she was mad. He doubted she'd be letting him bend her over any cars again soon. No matter. Sooner or later, she'd invite him between her legs.

"Why does it smell like that?"

"Like what?" She asked innocently, snatching up another strawberry from his plate.

"Like man."

His mate smelled like another male. Wrong.

"Does it?" She tilted her head to sniff the collar. "Oh yeah. I hadn't noticed. You'll have to blame that on my crappy witch senses. You know, because I'm a witch. I bet you just hate me for that."

Gods she was annoying.

"Well, I suppose it does make sense," She continued. "I found it in Claudio's closet. I didn't think he'd mind."

"You what?"

She'd be the death of him alright. His challenging Claudio was starting to feel inevitable.

"Something wrong?"

"No," He lied. "Nothing's wrong."

"Great! When do we leave?"

They were out the door within the next five minutes. After Lorcan put on his rucksack and slung her duffel bag over his shoulder, the pair of them paused at the doorway to assess the damage. So, Claudio would need to pay the cleaners a little more than usual when they next arrived.

They had to leave the truck in the drive what with the awkward terrain, so they started their walk early. Lorcan took the back. That way, he could keep an eye out for threats around her, behind her and keep an eye on the sway of her heavenly arse. He took that job very seriously.

"So," She said after around ten minutes of walking. He knew the silence was killing her. His witch was soft for a spot of conversation. "What's your plan of attack? Are you going to lie to your people like you did to me?"

She had a soft spot for shade, too.

"You know they'll never accept me as their Queen, right? It's already bad enough to them that I'm a witch, factoring in who I am will only make it that bit worse."

He hadn't gotten that far yet, but he knew she was right. His people wouldn't rebel—but that didn't mean they'd be happy about it. Everyone had heard of Evette. He didn't doubt that some of his subjects had tried to contact her before. Her name was known by everyone.

"Let me worry about that."

"Trust me, I will."

He bit his tongue to hold back a smirk. She was trying so hard. It was actually cute.

Bitchiness wasn't in Evie's nature. She was sassy at times- definitely gobby- but never bitchy. He wondered where she was channelling it from. After reading her Queen's most recent entry, he had his suspicions.

"What's your plan for the future?" She asked. "Hypothetically, say you did manage to keep me away from Annaliese, how would you do this? Your people are never going to accept me as Queen, so I'm assuming you'll reserve me for your bedsheets and have some random she-wolf sit on the throne." He narrowed his eyes at her, not that she could see them. "You should probably have her do the whole job, come to think of it. If you plan to keep me as your personal sex-toy, I won't put out. You should have your wolf bitch do it. You could always think of me to get it up. You wouldn't be the first."