Chapter Sixty-Two

Her seat-belt was jammed. She punched at it, only hurting herself in the process. She pulled her fist back bloodied.

There was no power that could stop him from getting to her on a full moon. No power in the world would stop him from reaching her. The wolf would never force her into anything- but that wouldn't stop him from accidentally hurting her.

Another howl said he was near.

Tears streamed down her face as she struggled. Death at every angle. That tree could fall at any moment and crush her. The engine was smoking, ready to explode. She couldn't get out. The werewolf was coming for her. He didn't intend to kill her, but he would.

She didn't want to die like this.

She didn't want to die by his hand. Because God help her, she wouldn't be able to hate him for it.

She saw him at the front of the truck. How he hadn't turned wolfy yet was completely beyond her. His body was larger. Tonight, his unfriendly face was terrifying. His claws were fully extended, his canines long.

He was going to kill her.

But he'd deal with these problems first.

The front of the truck was crippled, but it still showed the marks of his claws when he pushed it. He threw it backwards, out of the way of the tree. When it fell, she didn't die beneath its weight.

She kept punching at the seat-belt, eyes wide as he opened the crushed hood. Whatever was causing the smoking, he picked it up, the skin on his hand flaking from the heat.

That must've killed, but he grabbed it anyway. The river was nearby. He flung it inside, not waiting for the smoking to stop.

He turned to glare at her through the windshield window.

"Get out and fucking run."

"I c-can't."

She could barely see him as tears blurred at her eyes.

Evie didn't want to die.

She couldn't breathe. She couldn't see past the tears.

"You have to Evie. You have to run from me."

His voice was deeper than usual. He was losing control rapidly.

"I can't. My belt's jammed. I can't. Gods, Lorcan, I can't. I'm stuck. I—"

He headed around to the driver's door, his entire body seeming to shake.

"When I get you out of this, I need you to run. Don't look back. Don't even think of me. Just keep running. Don't stop for anything. Okay. Nothing. You run, Evie."

"Yes."

"Good girl. I can't—" He breathed in deeply then grabbed her door. She heard the metal groan. To deny his every instinct— He pulled it from the vehicle and flung it. She heard it crash somewhere in the distance.

"What happens when I can't run any more?"

"Shush, witch." He was leaning across her body, breathing slowly. She couldn't begin to imagine the control that must've been taking. She remembered the last full moon.

The beast would do anything he could to get his mate. When he had her, thoughts were few. Bend her over. Fuck her. Mark her.

The instincts of a wolf King prevailed.

Yet here he was, rebelling. He was fighting the instinct. For her. He was trying to save her.

Gods she loved this man.