Chapter Fifty-Four

Back in the car, her werewolf was still smirking. Evie, naturally, was not.

Would it have killed him to give that shop assistant a sign? An infamous dark look from Lorcan would've had her backing off. Instead, he'd happily lapped up her attention as Evie had fumed at his side.

In the passenger seat of her car, she still tried to school her anger.

He'd done that on purpose. He definitely had.

Grabbing her thigh, he gave it a squeeze, searching for her attention.

"I like it when you get jealous."

"I wasn't jealous," She said indifferently. "But you didn't have to lead her on. You could've told her you weren't interested or that you're taken."

"I'm taken?"

She blushed a little. "That's where I thought we were at. We are, aren't we?"

"Yes pet. We are." He gave her thigh another squeeze. "But you were jealous."

"No I-"

"If I had to tell the truth, you can admit to it too pet. So admit it. You were jealous. You want me madly, and it killed you to have to see another woman flirting with me."

"Maybe I was jealous."

He grinned wolfishly.

"I like it when you get jealous pet. God, I really do."

"I'm sure you do."

"Trust me, I do. It makes me feel better about this. I know I'm not going through this alone. And fuck, if you had any idea how much I've missed you."

"Promise me you won't savage my house again," She said with a warning look. "Some of it might still smell like... my ex-boyfriend. But you can't do what you did to my bedroom everywhere else. That's not how courting works. If you mess up my house, I'll throw you out."

He clenched his jaw.

"Can't you get a new house?"

"With this short notice? Keep dreaming."

"You could be living in a castle right now with people ready to wait around on you every hour of the day and you'd rather stay in a two bedroom house."

"You have to work your way up to that, I'm afraid. I'll warn you again- mess my house and I'll buy you a dog one that you can stay in every time you visit me. Like you said in your letter, and I'll take your word for it."

Gods, he really didn't like that word. Visit.

He was pulling up on her drive before long, his mood souring the closer he drew to her home.

Apparently, he didn't like her rule. Still, she wasn't going to change it.

On the drive next to hers, Agnes was out watering her plants like nothing had ever changed. She smiled pleasantly at Evie upon spotting her.

"Did you have a nice trip love?"

Lorcan was at the boot somewhere, grabbing their bags.

"Yes, I did thank you." It was time to play human again. Evie doubted she'd be doing it for much longer. Once she agreed to go back to the Territories with the King, she'd be hoping that would be a forever kind of thing.

"Has everything been alright here?"

"Everything's been normal. Although," Agnes peered around herself unsurely before leaning across the fence. "There's a new neighbour across the road who owns their own business. I wouldn't go mixing with them if I were you. He drives a BMW. Don't give him the chance to crash into you, you hear me? Our Chuck up the street says he drives right behind his bumper. I'm telling you- give it a week and that car's going to do damage. Don't go mixing with them, okay?"