Chapter Thirty-Six

His fingers were gliding over her skin idly. Fine little patterns between her breasts. To him, each touch brought a volley of soft tingles. He wondered if she'd feel them too once he marked her.

She'd fallen asleep naked. She remembered him carrying her to bed, lulling her to sleep with sweet nothings. He'd whispered soft words into her ear- partly rubbing his victory in. Over all, she could feel he'd been pleased.

Oh God—she remembered his cock between her lips.

At least he'd had the decency to put on boxers. Like he'd said, consent was key.

She felt he liked touching her, no matter where it was. By this reasoning, she wasn't surprised to find she'd been directed to sleep against his chest. But whilst she slept- semi-conscious- she was vaguely aware of him holding something up with his other hand. Something that unsettled him. Beneath her head, his chest began to vibrate with a building growl. His touch became more possessive. More protective.

Gone were the soft, sweet circles. Now, his claws were practically digging into her shoulder.

Something was wrong with her werewolf. Her werewolf.

No. His possessiveness is rubbing off on me.

She made sure to school the thought.

He wasn't hers. Quite the contrary actually. Likewise, she wasn't his. In fact, she planned to bring up her offer again in the coming days. He'd put his points out there about magic not being strong enough... but wasn't he a little biased? Evie knew the ins and outs of magic better than he did. Because of that, she was sure her idea would work.

Since his problem with what she was wouldn't be blowing over anytime soon, he might as well go through with her offer. Maybe she couldn't sever the bond that made her his mate completely, but surely there were people out there who could make him forget about her. People who could convince him some other woman was his mate.

Evie was sure she could find someone to get around the other problem.

The werewolves were sexual creatures. Regardless of how many different people they fucked, until they found their mates, they'd have no children. It was common knowledge that they could only have a child with their mate. Evie was almost certain she could find someone who had a mystical way around this.

Last time she'd told him this, the suggestion had angered him.

To her, he didn't make any sense. Wouldn't things be easier that way? That way, they'd both be getting what they wanted.

Beneath her, his growling became louder. Something was wrong with her wolf.

Groaning tiredly, she blinked her eyes open. Gold ones were staring down at her. His gaze didn't soften when she awoke. It became more possessive. Yawning, she tried to budge away. He didn't let her.

"What's up with you?" She asked, scrubbing a hand down her tired face. "After your big win yesterday, I thought you'd be in a good mood."

"Don't fuck with me Evie." His voice was dark and guttural. The wolf was pissed. "Don't ever fuck with me. You and I don't do that."

"You're arguing with me already? What have I done this time?"

Then, when her eyes had finished adjusting to the lighting, she saw what he was holding.

Maybe she could've hidden it a little better. Or perhaps she could've disposed of it since she already knew what it said.

In his hand, he held a fragile sheet of scrunched up paper.

"You went through my bag?"

She could hardly complain. She'd rifled through his just yesterday. But that was different. He'd taken all of her privacy. She'd only gone through his bag to retrieve what was hers. She'd paid for it too. Little broken pieces of her phone were still spread out across the floor.