Chapter Sixty-Five

Holding the witch close, Lorcan slammed the button down on the portal jumper. For a moment, the world was spinning. Then they appeared somewhere in the middle of the town.

"Couldn't have aimed better?"

He squeezed her side. "Hush, witch. I was distracted by a blonde."

They were in the cute village they'd drove through the first time she'd arrived, just outside of the old-fashioned looking pub. Inside, people were still sloshing beer and throwing darts. Outside, wolves were frozen. One werewolf lowered his jug, mouth agape.

"What are they staring at?" She whispered at his ear.

As far as she was aware, seeing a royal wasn't as rare as it was in the mortal realm. The monarchy was more involved in life. After all, Lorcan had fought alongside most of these people in battle.

"Your mark," He told her, just as hushed. They'd be able to sense it if they couldn't see it. With a full moon upon them at the time- not to mention his status and power as a King- that was probably the strongest mark they'd ever seen.

Evie hummed, feeling stupid. Right, because a witch as the Queen of the werewolves was a big thing. Not to mention how hushed the news had been. Word had been forbidden from spreading from the castle.

"Evette," He said, louder. "Meet your people. These are wolves who've fought alongside me for years. Some of these are Alphas." Ooh! She knew what that meant. Got to love a good power hierarchy. "Meet your Queen, Evette."

The whispers started up immediately, though there were no death threats. That had to count for something.

One of the Alphas hurried up from his chair. "Can I get you a car back up to the castle, your majesty?"

"Yes."

The Alpha glanced nervously Evette's way. "My Queen? Please, forgive me for asking, but are you the witch oracle?"

She lifted her chin. These people were probably just as scared as her, if not more so. Unlike her, they didn't have the King of the species hanging from their arms. Plus, this wasn't exactly a traditional way of meeting one's Queen. She was wearing a demon King's clothes whilst her werewolf King mate carried her through the village.

"I am."

He and a few others shared a look of hope. "So you can tell any futures?"

She sighed dramatically. "It's both a gift and a curse." Literally.

"Right." The look of hope didn't dissipate. "I'll get you a car, your majesty."

When he was out of sight, she raised an eyebrow at the King.

"What was that about?"

"Some of these people have waited a long time for their mates. It's a big part of our lives pet. You're someone who might make that wait a little shorter."

Her brows shot up. "You don't think I could use this to make them like me?"

She wasn't typically one for charity work where her gift was concerned, but she could make a few exceptions. These were her people now. They probably paid the price in taxes.

"I wouldn't put such a fine point on it, but yes."

"That's great. Maybe I could open up a tent at the market or something. Do you think you could get me a crystal ball?"

"Do you use crystal balls?"

"Well, no—but you can't ruin the aesthetic like that. No one else knows that. It's all about illusion."