Chapter Twenty-Six

Apparently, another trusted demon had been sagged down by their luggage until their new car turned up- courtesy of King Claudio- whilst Evie and Lorcan were in the club. They were in a forest before she knew it, leaving the road and the rest of civilisation behind. Evie found the chest and lap of a werewolf oddly comforting. Better yet, she was still on a high knowing he was jealous of other men being with her.

If he were jealous, then he had feelings for her- of some sort. Evie didn't need to understand them to take advantage of them. His feelings could be her life insurance.

Plus—the King of the werewolves was jealous of other men touching a witch. It made her jealousy for his mate feel a little less ridiculous.

The attraction between the two of them ran high.

When Caspian and Lorcan had spoken about a cabin in the woods, she'd been thinking something along the lines of Snow White. Something small and quaint with flowers all around it. She'd neglected to remember it was a property owned by Claudio. When she saw the grandiose outset, she was surprised for only a minute. She soon remembered who she was dealing with. Very little about Claudio could be defined as simple.

"How far is the portal from here?"

"I don't know exactly," He revealed. "It'll be a bit of a walk tomorrow, but I'm sure we'll manage."

She leaned her head back to rest on his shoulder. "I'm sorry for stressing you out," She said quietly. "I didn't think you'd lose your shit so much when you didn't see me. I didn't think I was that important, as bait of course."

Again, she was choosing her words wisely.

Evie was many things, but stupid wasn't one of them.

She knew she was more than bait to him. She'd grown on him faster than he'd been expecting. That reaction wasn't the type she'd have gotten had she just been a cog in his plan. She felt that hug when he'd gone for her. He held her like he'd actually been worried. And then those golden eyes as he'd peered down at her in the road. Had Lorcan been frightened for her?

Yep. I'm 100% growing on him.

In that moment, she'd felt her heart might explode, though she'd stuck to her guns throughout it.

"I'm sorry I called you a bitch."

She laughed breathily. "I'm sorry for telling you about Annaliese's orgies. If I'd have known they'd upset you so much, I wouldn't have gone into so much detail." He nipped her earlobe.

Soon, he was parking the truck not too far away from the door, only leaving them with enough of a distance to marvel the grounds. Whilst Evie looked her fill, he headed around to the truck bed to grab their bags.

"So... why did Claudio owe the King of the werewolves a favour?" She asked, walking at his side.

"A few hundred years ago, the Inferno demons were in a losing war. Claudio reached out to me for help. The Lupine armies joined them to help them through it. Claudio has been indebted to me ever since. He pays it off with small favours like this."

"So the Inferno demons are allies of the wolves?"

"You could say so."

"Hmm. Interesting."

She feasted her eyes around the cabin in the woods. Cabin wasn't the right word. It was a mansion decked out in wooden panels to make it blend. She'd delight in telling her old friend that it didn't blend at all and his effort to make it blend had all been a waste of time. He'd probably pop her head off her shoulders but it'd be worth it.