Chapter 20 - You've got a friend in me

~~~

~~~

3rd person POV

Zella sat on the windowsill, knees pressed to her chest and looking out to the sky. She was feeling overwhelmed, tomorrow they would see the offers they'd gotten from different hero agencies. It's moments like these she missed her dad. 

So, to feel a little better, she looked up to the sky and thought about him. He would always sing her to sleep. And even though he wasn't the best singer, she loved it. It calmed her down even after the worst tantrums.

She hummed quietly until she heard some footsteps behind her.

"Mikio? Is that you?"

She turned around and even in the dark, she could see his turquoise and grey eyes light up. 

"Hey Todoroki. I'm sorry, did I wake you up or something?"

"No, no. I was just getting a glass of water. What are you doing here?" he walked up to her.

"Just couldn't sleep." she looked back out the window.

It became quiet for a while. She didn't mind, but he was only thinking about what to say. He knew something was bothering her and wanted to help.

"Are you feeling... sad?"

"I don't want to bother you with my issues." she smiled slightly before looking down to her hands and started playing with her fingers.

Todoroki panicked internally. What was he supposed to do? Out of sheer panic he grabbed one of her hands and held it almost too tightly.

"Y-you know you can be honest with me, right?"

She gave him a soft smile and put the other hand on his as he softened his grip. That smile was enough to make him melt right there and then.

"Thank you. It means a lot."

He smiled slightly and they both turned their heads to the sky again. Every now and then, he'd peek at her, he couldn't help it.

Her white hair was almost blinding him. Her soft hands still resting in his. He wanted to hold her close while he counted every one of those freckles on her face.

The moonlight in her periwinkle blue eyes, he was lost in them. Lost in her.

He cleared his throat and pointed to a bright star.

"That's him. Right?"

She giggled and pointed to another star.

"No. That's him. But good try." she turned her head to him and smiled. And in that moment, his body shut down.

"What's up with your face?" Zella asked.

"I... I think I forgot how to smile." he said, immediately shocked of his words. Cursing under his breath, Todoroki blushed, not wanting to look at her.