Dead Man's Blood [2]

Sam, Dean, and Natalia were sleeping peacefully in a motel room.

John watched Sam and Natalia as he listened to a police radio.

"Unit 22 let me confirm. Mile marker 41, abandoned car. You need a workup?" A dispatcher asked.

"Copy that." An officer replied "Possible 207. Better get forensics out here,"

John jumped to his feet and grabbed his jacket. "Sam, Dean, let's go,"

"Mm-hmm," Dean mumbled as he started rubbing his eyes.

"I picked up a police call,"

"What happened?" Sam asked.

"A couple called 911 found a body in the street. Cops got there everyone was missing. It's the vampires,"

Sam rose from the bed, flinching when Natalia began to stir slightly "How do you know?"

"Just follow me, ok?"

Sam sighed as he picked up Natalia.

Natalia began to have a fit.

"Shh, it's ok," Sam said "We're just going for a car ride," he let out a sigh of relief as he felt Natalia nod in his neck before he heard her slow breaths that showed she was asleep again.

***

John finished talking to a cop on the scene and started walking back to the boys, waiting by the Impala.

"I don't see why we couldn't have gone over with him," Sam sulked.

"Oh don't tell me it's already starting," Dean huffed.

"What's starting?"

Dean ignored Sam's question and looked over at his father "What have you got?"

"It was them all right." John said "Looks like they're heading west. We'll have to double back to get around that detour,"

"How can you be so sure?" Sam asked.

"Sam..." Dean warned.

"I just wanna know we're going in the right direction,"

"We are," John argued.

"How do you know?"

John ignored Sam and handed an object over to Dean "I found this,"

"It's a...a vampire fang," Dean realized.

"Not fangs, teeth." John corrected "The second set descends when they attack,"

John looked over at Sam "Any more questions?"

Sam looked away and stayed silent.

"All right, let's get out of here, we're losing daylight,"

Sam turned on the baby monitor and placed it on the nightstand before following after John and Dean.

"Hey, Dean why don't you touch up your car before you get rust?" John told Dean as he looked over the Impala "I wouldn't have given you the damn thing if I thought you were going to ruin it,"

Dean looked down at the Impala.

Sam looked at Dean with a 'told you so' look on his face causing Dean to grimace.

***

Sam was driving the Impala, following John's truck while Dean read some research.

"'Vampires nest in groups of eight to ten. Smaller packs are sent to hunt for food. Victims are taken to the next where the pack keeps them alive, bleeding them for days or weeks.'" Dean read "I wonder if that's what happened to that 911 couple,"

"That's probably what Dad's thinking." Sam said grumpily "Course it would be nice if he just told us what he thinks,"

"So it is starting," Dean scoffed.

"What?"

"Sam, we've been looking for Dad all year. Now we're not with him for more than a couple of hours and there's static already?"

"Hmph. No. Look, I'm happy he's ok, all right? And I'm happy that we're all working together again,"

"Well good,"

"It's just the way he treats us like we're children,"

"Oh God," Dean groaned.

"He barks orders at us, Dean, he expects us to follow 'em without question. He keeps us on some crap need-to-know deal,"

"He does what he does for a reason,"

"What reason?" Sam challenged.

"Our job! There's no time to argue, there's no margin for error, all right? That's just the way the old man runs things,"

"Yeah well, maybe that worked when we were kids but not anymore, all right. Not after everything you, Natalia, and I have been through, Dean. I mean, are you telling me you're cool with just falling into line, and letting him run the whole show?"

Dean nodded "If that's what it takes," he paused when his cell phone rang "Yeah Dad. All right, got." Dean hung up "Pull off at the next exit,"

"Why?" Sam asked angrily.

"Cause Dad thinks we've got the vampire's trail,"

"How?!"

"I don't know..." Dean shrugged "he didn't say," Dean looked at Sam like he was crazy as he gunned the engine.

Sam overtook John's truck and passed it.

Once in front of the truck, Sam slammed on the brakes, causing the Impala to swerve sideways in front of John's truck.

"Oh, crap." Dean muttered "here we go," he noticed Sam get out of the car "Sam!" Dean followed him out of the car "Sam!"

"What the hell was that?!" John demanded.

"We need to talk," Sam said.

"About what?"

"About everything. Where we going, Dad? What's the big deal about this gun?"

"Sammy, come on," Dean reasoned. "We can Q and A after we kill all the vampires,"

"Your brother's right, we don't have time for this," John challenged.

"Last time we saw you, you said it was too dangerous for us to be together." Sam argued "Now out of the blue you need our help. Now obviously something big is going down, and we wanna know what!"

"Get back in the car," John ordered.

"No,"

"I said get back in the damn car,"

"Yeah. And I said no,"

"Ok you made your point tough guy," Dean said as he moved to defuse the situation "Look we're all tired, we can talk about this later. Sammy, I mean it, come on," He grabbed Sam and pushed him back towards the Impala.

"This is why I left in the first place," Sam muttered.