Scarecrow [3]

Natalia was sleeping on the floor.

Sam was sitting by his bags, on the phone with Dean. "The scarecrow climbed off its cross?"

"Yeah, I'm tellin ya. Burkittsville, Indiana. Fun Town," Dean joked

"It didn't kill the couple, did it?"

"No. I can't cope without you, you know. You or that spunky three-year-old," Dean laughed

Sam smiled as he looked down at Natalia's drawings able to depict a few of them were of him, Dean, and her. "So, something must be animating it. A spirit," Sam continued not wanting to hint that despite their argument he was missing Dean as well.

"No," Dean sighed "it's more than a spirit. It's a god. A Pagan god, anyway,"

"What makes you say that?"

"The annual cycle of its killings? And the fact that the victims are always a man and a woman. Like some kind of fertility right. And you should see the locals. The way they treated this couple. Fattenin' 'em up like a Christmas turkey,"

"The last meal. Given to sacrificial victims,"

"Yeah, I'm thinking a ritual sacrifice to appease some Pagan god,"

"So, a god possesses the scarecrow..."

"And the scarecrow takes its sacrifice. And for another year, the crops won't wilt, and disease won't spread,"

"Do you know which god you're dealing with?"

"No, not yet,"

"Well, you figure out what it is, you can figure out a way to kill it,"

"I know. I'm actually on my way to a local community college. I've got an appointment with a professor. You know, since I don't have my trusty sidekick geek boy to do all the research,"

Sam laughed "You know, if you're hinting you need my help, just ask,"

"I'm not hinting anything. Actually, uh-I want you to know...I mean, don't think..."

"Yeah. I'm sorry, too,"

"Sam. You were right. You gotta do your own thing. You gotta live your own life,"

"Are you serious?"

"You've always known what you want. And you go after it. You stand up to Dad. And you always have. Hell, I wish I-anyway...I admire that about you. I'm proud of you, Sammy,"

"I don't even know what to say,"

"Say you'll take care of yourself and your daughter,"

"I will,"

"Call me when you find Dad,"

"OK." Sam said sadly "Bye, Dean,"

They hung up.

Meg moved next to Sam once he hung up "Who was that?"

"My brother," Sam replied

"What'd he say?"

Sam looked down at Natalia's still sleeping form "Goodbye,"

***

Meg was gathering her things as Sam was picking up Natalia's drawings, stopping as he noticed one of a scarecrow. "Hey. Our bus came in,"

Sam shook his head. "You better catch it. I gotta go," He put on his backpack before picking Natalia up.

"Go where?"

"Burkittsville,"

"Sam, wait,"

"I've been trying to call my brother for the last three hours. I'm just getting his voicemail,"

"Well, maybe his phone's turned off,"

"No, that's not like him. Meg, I think he might be in trouble,"

"What kind of trouble?"

"I can't really explain right now. I'm sorry, look, I don't want you to miss your bus,"

"But I don't understand. You're running back to your brother? The guy you ran away from? Why, because he won't pick up his phone? Sam-come with me to California,"

"I can't. I'm sorry,"

"Why not,"

"Unkie De famiwe," Natalia said

Sam nodded at his daughter as he looked back at Meg "What she said,"