Scarecrow

Sam, Dean, and Natalia were sleeping.

Dean's phone rang but he did not wake up.

"Dean," Sam muttered tiredly

Dean still didn't wake up.

Sam answered the phone "Hello?"

"Sam, is that you?" John asked from the other end

Sam sat up in bed "Dad? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine,"

"We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were if you were okay,"

"Sammy, I'm all right. What about you and Dean?"

Dean began waking up.

"We're fine. Dad, where are you?" Sam questioned

Dean sat up in bed.

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that,"

"What? Why not?"

"Is that Dad?" Dean asked sleepily

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this," John said

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mom," Sam reasoned

"Yeah." John sighed "It's a demon, Sam,"

"A demon? You know for sure?"

"A demon?" Dean asked fully awake "What's he saying?"

"I do." John said over the phone "Listen, Sammy, I, uh...I also know what happened to your girlfriend. I'm so sorry. I would've done anything to protect you from that,"

Sam looked down at Natalia's sleeping form at the mention of Jessica's death "You know where it is?"

"Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it,"

"Let us help,"

"You can't. You can't be any part of it,"

"Why not?"

"Give me the phone," Dean ordered

"Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling." John continued not hearing Dean's argument "You and your brother, you gotta stop looking for me. Alright, now, I need you to write down these names,"

"Names? What names, Dad-talk to me, tell me what's going on," Sam demanded

"Look, we don't have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they're everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's not safe,"

"No. Alright? No way,"

"Give me the phone," Dean ordered once more

"I have given you an order." John told Sam "Now, you stop following me, and you do your job. Do you understand me? Now, take down these names,"

Dean grabbed the phone from Sam "Dad, it's me,"

***

The trio was back in the Impala, Sam having to bribe Natalia with some cheerios as she was a bit cranky from being woken up so early to leave.

"Alright, so, the names Dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam asked

"Three different couples. All went missing," Dean explained

"And they're all from different towns? Different states?"

"That's right. Yo got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again,"

"Well, it's a big country, Dean. they could've disappeared anywhere,"

"Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another,"

"This is the second week of April,"

"Yep,"

"So, Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?"

"Yahtzee. Can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? All the different obits Dad had to go through? The man's a master,"

Sam looked annoyed and pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the car.

"What are you doing?"

"We're not going to Indiana," Sam claimed

"We're not?"

"No. We're going to California. Dad called from a payphone. Sacramento area code,"

"Sam,"

"Dean, if this demon killed Mom and Jess, and Dad's closing in, we've gotta be there. We've gotta help,"

"Dad doesn't want our help,"

"I don't care,"

"He's given us an order,"

"I don't care," Sam said firmly.

The brothers were cut off when Natalia began to cry as she overheard the two shouting back and forth at each other.

Sam sighed as he looked back at Dean his tone softening up a bit "We don't always have to do what he says,"

"Sam, Dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives, it's important," Dean said.

"Alright, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge,"

"Alright, look, I know how you feel,"

"Do you?"

Dean seemed shocked at Sam's tone

"How old were you when Mom died? Four? Jess died six months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?"

"Dad said it wasn't safe. For any of us. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don't, so if he says to stay away, we stay away," Dean said

"I don't understand the blind faith you have in the man. I mean, it's like you don't even question him,"

"Yeah, it's called being a good son!"

Sam angrily got out of the car.

Dean watched Sam and looked back at Natalia who was quietly sniffling, he gently tickled her stomach "It's gonna be ok, Nat," he got out of the Impala and watched Sam unloading things from the trunk. Dean made sure he closed the door before continuing his argument "You're a selfish bastard, you know that? You just do whatever you want. Don't care what anybody thinks,"

"That's what you really think?" Sam demanded

"Yes, it is,"

"Well, then this selfish bastard is taking his daughter and going to California," Sam put on his backpack and picked up Natalia from the backseat and started walking away.

"Come on, you're not serious,"

"I am serious,"

"It's the middle of the night! Hey, I'm taking off, I will leave your ass, you hear me?"

Sam stopped walking and turned around "That's what I want you to do,"

They stared at each other for a few seconds, waiting.

"Goodbye, Sam." Dean closed the trunk, got in the car, and drove away.

"Where Unkie De go?" Natalia mumbled sleepily.

"He had to go to work," Sam said as he positioned Natalia so her head could rest on his shoulder so she could go to sleep.

"Where we goin'?"

"Sacramento, California?"

"Diney Land?"

Sam smiled at his daughter's innocence "Sure kiddo, once we find your Grandpa, we can go to Disney Land,"