Nightmare [3]

Dean entered the hallway upstairs.

Checking the coast was clear, Dean held Natalia in one arm and an infer-red thermal scanner in his other, shining it into rooms as he passed. As Dean reached the end of the hall he heard footsteps coming up the stairs and hastily hid the scanner.

Sam appeared. "Anything?"

"Zip," Dean said.

***

Dean was cleaning his weapons as Natalia sat on the bed watching cartoons.

Sam entered the motel room.

"What do you have?" Dean asked.

Sam sighed in defeat "A whole lotta nothing. Nothing bad has happened in the Miller house since it was built,"

"What about land?"

Sam sunk onto his bed next to Natalia "No graveyards, battlefields, tribal lands or any other kind of atrocity on or near the property,"

"Hey man I told you, Nat and I searched that house up and down. No cold spots, sulfur scent. Nada,"

"And the family said everything was normal?"

"Well, if there was a demon or poltergeist in there you think somebody would have noticed something? I used the infer-red thermal scanner man, and there was nothing,"

"So what, you think Jim Miller killed himself and my dream was just some sorta freakish coincidence??"

"I dunno. I'm pretty sure there's nothing supernatural about that house,"

Sam glanced down and saw Natiala drawing what looked like a window. He rubbed his temples "Yeah. Well, maybe it has nothing to do with the house." Sam took a deep breath, holding his head "Maybe it's just...Gosh."

"Daddy?" Natalia looked up at her father in worry as he held his hand to his forehead.

"...maybe it's connected to Jim in some other way?"

"What's wrong with you?" Dean asked.

"Daddy!" Natalia cried out as Sam made anguished noises and sank from the bed to crouch on the floor.

"Ahh. My head," Sam complained.

Dean left his bed "Sam? Hey," he crouched and grabbed Sam's arms "Hey! What's going on? Talk to me,"

Sam stared at Dean.

Suddenly Sam flashed out of the motel room and was a fly on the wall, watching Roger enter his kitchen with groceries.

Roger noticed the window was open and closed and locked it.

When Roger returned to unpacking the lock moved by itself and the window slid open again.

Roger was confused. He attempted to close it but it stuck. Roger leaned out, twisting to look up at the top of the window.

The window slid closed, decapitating Roger. Blood gushed up over the window.

Sam focused back on Dean in the motel room, Natalia screaming for him. "It's happing again. Something's gonna kill Roger Miller,"

***

Dean was driving the Impala.

Sam was speaking slowly into his phone, holding his head "Roger Miller. Ah no-no, jut the address please. Ok, thanks." he looked over at Dean "450 West Grove, Apartment 1120,"

"You ok?" Dean asked.

"Yeah,"

"If you're gonna hurl I'll pull the car over you know, cause the upholstery..."

"I'm fine," Sam snapped.

"All right,"

"Just drive." Sam looked back at Natalia, sighing heavily "Dean I'm scared man. These nightmares weren't bad enough, now I'm seeing things when I'm awake? And these, visions, or whatever, they're getting more intense. And painful,"

"Come on man, you'll be all right. It'll be fine,"

"Really?!" Sam showed Dean Natalia's latest drawing of a window.

"Shit," Dean muttered.

Sam shook his head "What is it about the Millers. Why am I connected to them, why am I watching them die? Why the hell is this happening to Natalia?!"

"I don't know Sam but we'll figure it out. We've faced the unexplainable every day. This is just another thing,"

"No. It's never been us. It's been in the family like this. Tell the truth, you can't tell me this doesn't freak you out,"

"This doesn't freak me out,"

***

The Impala pulled up as Roger approached the entrance of his apartment with a bag of groceries.

"Hey Roger," Sam shout out the window.

"What are you guys, missionaries? Leave me alone," Roger said.

"Please!"

But Roger was gone.

Dean gunned the engine, jumping the curb as he hurriedly parked.

Sam got out and ran towards Roger "Hey. Roger. We're trying to help!"

Dean looked back at Natalia "Stay here, squirt,"

Natalia nodded.

"Okay," Dean quickly hurried after Sam.

"Please!" Sam called out to Roger "Hey, hey hey hey hey," he ran up to the entrance just as Roger closed the door behind him.

"I don't want your help," Roger said as he walked away.

"We're not priests," Sam called after Roger "you gotta listen to us! Roger, you're in danger!" he looked around as Dean came over. "Come on. Come on come on,"

Sam and Dean ran around the corner to a back entrance, it was securely locked.

Dean quickly looked around then kicked it open.

Sam and Dean jumped to the first level of the fire escape then ran up the stairs.

When they were one floor from Roger's house, they heard the window slide down and a wet squelching noise.

Sam froze, Dean sprinted past him and grabbed the railing.

Roger's head lied in the flower bed under the window, his blood all over the kitchen window.

Sam joined Dean.

After a long pause, Dean pulled a cloth from his pocket, throwing one to Sam, and started to wipe down the railing.

"Start wiping down your fingerprints, we don't want the cops to know we were here. Come on, come on!" Dean exclaimed as he used his rag to push up the window leading out to the fire escape. "I'm gonna take a look inside,"

Sam continued wiping down the metal railing.