Chapter 32 - Train with Kiri

After the weekend...

Mr Aizawa: "Alright everyone, for the rest of the day, you'll be given free time to prepare for finals. The gym is open for those of you who would like to train for the practical. The library will be open as usual for those who want to study for the written portion. You're dismissed."

Y/T: 'I can't believe finals are in two days... I should use this time wisely. I've studied some, but I definitely need to get focused. Maybe I should study with someone? Hmm... I'm not really sure if Kirishima is the best with his studies... but it'd be fun to hang out with him anyway.'

You gather your things and hurry to catch up with the rest of your classmates. Everyone's heading in different directions outside of the classroom. You spot Kirishima a bit further down the hallway.

Y/N: "Hey, Kiri!"

Kirishima turns around and smiles cheerfully.

Kiri: "Hey, L/N! Off to study in the library?"

Y/N: "Well, actually... I wanted to see if you wanted to... study... together?"

Kiri: "O-oh! Really? You want to study with me?"

He rubs his fingers through his hair and looks down, a small frown on his face.

Kiri: "I... eh... I don't know how much help I'd be honestly... as much as I'd like to hang out with you, you should probably focus on your own studies! Don't let me drag you down!"

Y/N: "Well, actually... didn't Mr Aizawa say the gym would be open for training, too? There's a practical portion of the exam, too. I'm probably more nervous about that than the written part... I'm not the best fighter, especially not hand-to hand... I was wondering... if you have time... maybe you could teach me some things?"

Kiri's eyes light up with excitement and he brings his fists together with a big toothy grin.

Kiri: "Really?! I'd love to! That's totally my thing, man! I've got you covered!"

Y/N: "Awesome! I'll get changed and meet you in there!"

You head to the locker room and change into your gym uniform, then head to the gym. You spot Kirishima and jog over to him.

Kiri: "Alright! So... hand-to-hand combat? I can definitely show you some tricks! First, let's get into stance."

He raises his fists to the sides of his face, and you do the same.

Kiri: "Nice! That looks really good!"

He takes a step back to adjust your stance, gently moving your arms and legs.

Kiri: "Keep your knees bent a bit... yep, just like that! And your elbows, tuck those back just a bit... perfect!"

He steps back again to observe your stance. He smiles with a blush and puts his hands on his hips.

Kiri: "Hey, you look pretty intimidating like this, L/N!"

You giggle. He gets back into stance and positions himself in front of you.

Kiri: "I'll show you a few ways to deflect a punch. If someone comes at you like this..."

He brings his fist toward your face in slow motion.

Kiri: "Try grabbing their arm here... then quickly spin around, so that you've got their arm over your shoulder, and they're against your back. Yeah! Nice! Okay, now the fun part. Take one step back, push your hips up into my stomach, and pull me forward, all the way over your shoulder and onto the ground!"

Y/N: "Th-throw you to the ground?!"

Kiri: "Yeah! You'd be surprised how strong your legs and back are. You're basically forcing me to trip over you. This move will even work on an opponent double your size. And once you've got them on the ground, they're totally done for! Oh, and don't worry about hurting me. I can totally take it."

He smiles encouragingly and gets back into position.

Kiri: "Why don't you give it a try?"

Y/N: "Er... okay! I'll try!"

Kiri: "That's the spirit! Give it your all! Okay, here I come...!"

He sends a fist toward you at medium speed. You grab his arm, spin, and sure enough - throw him directly over your shoulder. He lands on his back with a thud.

Kiri: "Atta girl!! You got it! That was really good! You're really strong, L/N!!"

You smile and offer him a hand to help him back onto his feet.

Y/N: "That felt... kind of awesome!"

Kiri: "It looked awesome, too! I've got more where that came from. Ready for the next move?"

You and Kiri practice together for a few more hours until you're both totally exhausted. Kiri is clearly very talented at martial arts and is a fantastic teacher. You both have a lot of fun learning and goofing off together.

Kiri: "I'm totally beat. We should definitely train together again sometime! Although, I'm not sure how much you really need me to teach ya. You're a natural, you know!"

You smile and blush at his compliment.

Y/N: "Only because I had a great teacher."

Kiri: "Th-thanks, L/N!"

He gives you a shy smile and puts his hands in his pockets. You wave and start to make your way out of the gym. You turn back for a moment and call out to him over your shoulder.

Y/N: "Hey, Kiri? You can call me Y/N, you know."

His eyes widen for a moment in surprise, then he smiles.

Kiri: "Okay, Y/N."

You turn back toward the door and head home for the day.