(S1:E16) Shadow

Sam and Dean stopped their car across the street and got out, dressed as employees of an alarm system company. Dean got a toolbox from the trunk of the car, and they proceeded towards an apartment.

"You know, that surprisingly looks good on you," Charlie said. "Kinda like you were meant for that kinda job."

"I think it's because it looks like a mechanic's overalls. If I were gonna be anything other than a hunter, I would be a mechanic," Dean explained.

"Makes sense, with how many times you took all my cars apart. As well as building your car from the frame up multiple times," Bobby added.

"What happened to the car? Why did you have to rebuild her?" John asked, though everyone knew he wasn't asking.

"You seriously don't remember the crash that nearly killed me? Right after Azazel tortured me. You sold your soul for my life because Baby got totaled in a crash and it nearly killed me."

At that, John looked away, ashamed. Almost as if he'd forgotten his last moments on Earth were him telling his son that he needed to kill his brother if and when the time came. Almost as if he didn't bother to remember the accident that nearly took his eldest son.

"All right, Dean. This is the place."

"You know, I've gotta say Dad and me did just fine without these stupid costumes. I feel like a high school drama dork." He smiled. "What was that play that you did? What was it – Our Town. Yeah, you were good, it was cute."

"Aww, that sounds adorable," Jody and Rowena cooed.

"Look, you wanna pull this off or not?"

"I'm just sayin', these outfits cost hard-earned money, okay?"

"Whose?"

"Ours. You think credit card fraud is easy?"

Later, Dean opened his toolbox and removed the EMF meter.

"So, a killer walks in and out of the apartment—no weapons, no prints, nothin'."

"I'm tellin' ya, the minute I found that article, I knew this was our kind of gig." The EMF meter beeped frantically.

"I think I agree with you."

"So, you talked to the cops?"

"Uh, yeah." He smirked. "I spoke to Amy, a, uh, charming, perky officer of the law."

Dean groaned as he collapsed against the back of the couch. "What the hell was wrong with me?"

"That's the result of decades worth of internalized homophobia," Cas said. "I don't blame you for any of it. You were still hiding and hadn't encountered anything in your life to start exploring yourself and your interests."

"Yeah. I think meeting you was the main catalyst for everything regarding that, but meeting Charlie was what made me finally figure my feelings out and come to terms with them." Dean took that moment to adjust his hold on Jack, as his arm was going numb.

"Yeah? What'd you find out?"

"Well, she's a Sagittarius. She loves tequila, I mean—wow. Oh, and she's got this little tattoo—"

"Dean!"

"What? Yeah. Uh, nothin' we don't already know. Except for one thing they're keepin' out of the papers."

"Huh, never thought about it like that," Crowley muttered to himself.

Unfortunately, Dean overheard. "What do you mean?"