(S1:E18) Something Wicked

Sam and Dean were walking down the hospital corridor with a doctor.

"Well, thanks for seeing us, Dr. Hydecker," Dean said.

"That name reminds me of Jekyll and Hyde. Jekyll being the doctor and his name being Hyde," Charlie noted.

Sam and Dean froze, slowly turning to look at each other. They both looked bewildered as if just coming to a shocking realization.

"Holy shit," Sam whispered, his jaw dropping.

"I can't believe we missed that," Dean added.

Charlie turned to look at her brothers. "Wait, was I close?"

Dean shook his head. "Not really, but it kind of makes sense in the long run. You'll see what I mean later on."

"Ok," Charlie was confused, but she turned back to look at the tv, believing the elder hunter.

"Well, I'm glad you guys are here. I was just about to call CDC myself. How'd you find out anyway?"

"Oh, some GP, I forget his name, he called Atlanta and, uh, he must've beat you to the punch."

"So you say you got six cases so far?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, five weeks. At first, we thought it was garden variety bacterial pneumonia. Not that newsworthy. But now..."

"Now what?"

"The kids aren't responding to antibiotics. Their white cell counts keep going down. Their immune systems just aren't doing their job. It's like their bodies are ... wearing out."

"Wait, this job was about kids dying?" Mary asked. She knew her sons were incredibly sensitive when it came to kids. Honestly, who wouldn't be? John, apparently, but he didn't count.

"Uhh, yeah," Dean said. "This case held a lot of bad memories for me."

"When don't they?" John mumbled. He didn't flinch when the angel glared at him, his eyes flaring blue. He grew to realize the angel, despite all the threats and the attempts, wouldn't actually do anything. Because despite Dean's clear contempt for him, the boy was still too afraid of him to do anything. Coward.

"Excuse me, Dr. Hyecker," a nurse called out. She handed him some forms to look over and sign.

"You ever see anything like this before?" Sam asked.

"Never this severe."

"And the way it spreads...that's a new one for me," the nurse added.

"What do you mean?"

"It works its way through families. But only the children, one sibling after another."

"You mind if we interview a few of the kids?" Dean asked.

"They're not conscious."

Sam was shocked. "None of them?"

"No."

"Can we, uh, can we talk to the parents?" Dean asked instead.

"Well, if you think it'll help," Hydecker told him.

"Yeah. Who was your most recent admission?"

A man sat on a chair against the wall and Sam and Dean stood in front of him.

"I should get back to my girls."