Lunch Time

While everyone filed into the kitchen and sat down, Dean handed Jack to Cas before heading to the stove to start lunch.

Cas sat down at the head of the table with Jack in his lap—bee plush clutched in the baby's hands.

Rowena entered the room—she hadn't entered with everyone else—with a plastic bag in her hand, which she placed on the island in the middle of the kitchen. Digging through, she eventually pulled out a tin of baby formula and a few plastic bottles.

"What are you doing, Mother?" Crowley asked.

"The babe needs to eat, so I'm making him some food," she explained, dumping some powder into an empty bottle.

"Hey, mom, why don't you feed him?" Dean called over his shoulder, not looking away from the pan.

"Umm, sure," she agreed. She did say she wanted to get to know her grandbaby.

John sat at the other end of the table, his back to the wall facing the monster. The son of Lucifer. He didn't understand how a room full of hunters could even stand being in the same building as a demon, a witch, and the son of Lucifer, let alone at the same table.

Rowena walked over to Mary and handed her the bottle. Mary then stood up and made her way to Cas and Jack, the former of which was bouncing the knee seating the Nephilim up and down to keep him entertained and calm.

Cas gently placed the baby in Mary's arms, then made his way to his fiancé, trusting the huntress knew what she was doing.

"Hi, Jack. I'm your grandma." Placing the tip of the bottle in the baby's mouth, Mary began swaying from side to side, smiling as Jack greedily sucked down his food.

Thankfully, John waited until Jack was finished eating and in Jody's arms before saying anything. "I can't believe you're actually holding that thing."

Dean freezing and the sudden tensing of his muscles did not go unnoticed by most in the room.

Mary huffed and turned to face her husband. "What is your problem?"

"That thing's a fucking monster. It's the son of Lucifer! I don't know what's wrong with them, but I thought at least you had some common sense."

Jack's cries were the only sound in the silent room.

"What do you mean, common sense? He's a baby! I'd have thought being a father yourself you would spare an innocent child, but clearly—"

John shot to his feet, the chair skidding on the floor and smacking against the cement wall behind it.

Before a word was said, something flew past John's face and embedded itself in the wall beside him. Glancing over, the hunter noticed it was a kitchen knife, and it was in there a good two inches. John looked in the direction the blade came from to find Dean glaring at him.

"Take this outside. There are children here." His voice was slow and quiet like he was trying to reel in his anger and contain it, despite the fact it was pouring from like waves. Without another word, he turned back to the stove to finish making lunch.

Mary dragged John out of the room, probably to continue their argument.

Jody stood with a still crying Jack in her arms and walked toward the angel and hunter, hoping one of them could calm him the way she couldn't.

Cas took the baby without hesitation and began lightly bouncing and humming, something he'd seen Dean do with younger kids on hunts, and it'd worked wonders to assuage their fears.

He'd known something like that was going to happen, he'd just hoped it wouldn't happen with Jack or any of the teens in the room. Alas, that didn't happen.

Meanwhile, Mary dragged John out into the hallway, ready to continue their conversation out in the hallway.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Mary began, her anger at her husband boiling over and destroying her ability to stay silent at his frustrating behavior.

"What do you mean?" He asked, his face annoyingly passive and devoid of emotion.

But Mary had been married to him long enough to know his tells, and that was one of them. He was mad they were arguing. Or more accurately, that they were arguing about this.

"I mean that you can't stand to be in the same room as your sons' family. I mean that you're condemning a baby who had no choice in parents and has done nothing to you. I can't believe you. You're not the same person I married."

If Mary was mad, John was fuming. "They're monsters! We're hunters, we're supposed to kill them, not play house! I taught those boys better than that, I know I did."

"Do you hear yourself right now? Who cares if they're not human, they make our sons happy. Or do you not care about that?"

"What? Of course I care about that!"

"Do you? Because everything I've heard in those episodes doesn't agree. It sounds like you trained them through their childhood then threw them out into the world without the ability to give or accept love to anyone but each other. Until more recently, I guess."

"I trained those boys to survive. Everything else they learned afterward. They must've. There's no way I would've let my sons be such f—"

Mary rushed forward and pinned John to the wall. Let it be said, Mary Winchester was terrifying when she was pissed, especially if she was protecting her boys. "Don't you dare use that word!" When she was certain that John wasn't going to say anything more, she slowly released him. "It's clear that revenge was more important to you than anything else. But guess what? He's dead, and I'm here. And yet you're still more enraptured by the people around us." Mary shook her head, coming to a sad realization. "You may have cared about killing the demon in revenge long ago, but that wasn't all of it. You wanted your family to yourself, so nobody else could have them. You knew something, and you kept it to yourself."

The huntress didn't say another word as she headed back into the kitchen to join her family, leaving John stunned, hurt, and furious out in the hallway.