22 | Empty Track

| Winter Kim

"I'll just answer this."

Karina stood up beside me and walked out of the dining room, Leaving me and Mrs. Yu alone. 

Fuck, I feel so nervous and I don't even know why. 

"Winter,"

I looked at her immediately. "Y-yes, Ma'am?"

"You said you're Taeyeon Kim's daughter…" She sipped on the glass of wine, before glancing at me. "Right?"

"That's right, Ma'am."

Something's off. 

The moment when Karina said my mother's name to her Mom, Mrs. Yu's demeanor towards me changed. 

And it wasn't a good change at all.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking.

"…Then I'll go straight to the point, Winter."

God, I really hope I am.

She looked at me, giving me a chance to clearly see the expression she's having right now. 

The calm gaze, the light smile, the gentle voice—they are all gone. 

In front of me is a different Tiffany Yu, very different from what she shows to her daughter. 

"I need you to keep your distance from my daughter."

What?

"P-pardon?"

"You heard me." She looked away and sipped on her wine again. "I need you to stay away."

"But…Ma'am, I don't know why you want me to stay away." I muttered. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Are you going to?"

"I…I don't understand." 

"I want you to stay away before you could even do anything." She said sternly, and I could only stare at her. 

I really don't understand.

What did I do?

Or rather, What am I even going to do?

I don't have any bad intentions towards her daughter.

Why does she want me to stay away?

Before I could even ask why, Karina already came back. She saw how silent we were, then she chuckled. 

"Why are you both silent?"

"We're just waiting for you." Mrs. Yu smiled at her. "Continue your dinner, sweetie."

Just like nothing happened…

"You okay?" I heard Karina whisper beside me. "You look stiff."

I gave her a small smile—which is the only thing that I could do right now.

And I can't even make it genuine.

"I'm fine. Don't worry."

Karina smiled at me before continuing her meal. I did the same, but the thoughts are continuously flowing inside my head. 

I don't understand it at all.

____

Winter: Can you please come here? I need you.

I lied to Karina. 

My parents aren't waiting for me. They seem to have errands and no one is actually inside our house right now, not even me.