(8) Beasts in the Disguise of Humans - Past

Chapter Eight

13-year-old Human Belle - Time Period

I screamed for my brother, watching as he once again hit the ground. Tears streamed down my face wondering why no ones came in search of all the noise. Wondering why no one cared to see what was happening.

"Klaus!" I cried, watching as the man approached my brother.

He wasn't moving. Klaus wasn't moving.

I scrambled to my feet, biting my lip as pain shot through me. He was going to kill Klaus if he wasn't already dead. I needed to stop that from happening.

I placed myself between my brother and the savage.

Fear crawled at me but I couldn't be afraid any longer. I had to save Klaus like I would if it was father. I had to turn his attention onto something else.

Klaus, get up. Please you needed to get up. I pleaded, wishing that I could say the words out loud. Brother, please.

What was I suppose to do?

He grabbed me, his eyes shinning with the moon, his face twisted.

I knew that Klaus had done what he could. He had tried to protect me as much as he could. He had tried to save me.

He should've just left me behind. He should've forgotten about me.

I only seemed to bring trouble to him and everyone else in the family.

"Watch as I kill him." I was tossed to the side. "This is the fate for anyone who tries to come for you."

He turned back to Klaus.

"Klaus get up! You have to get up brother! Get up!" I shouted, wanting him to leave desperately. "I won't forgive you if you die! I won't so you have to get up! You have to!"

Klaus didn't move.

He needed to move and he didn't.

"Get up, Klaus! Brother!" My throat hurt as I continued to try and get some response. "I won't forgive you! I wont! So get up! It's not okay! I'm not fine!"

I don't want to see you die.

"Get up! Brother!"

I don't want to see you die!

"You're suppose to protect me! Why aren't you getting up!"

Why do you want to die in front of me.

"Klaus!" Do you hate me as well? "I don't want to see you die, brother." My voice cracked, my shoulders slumping. "Please, move."

I knew it was already to late as the savage finally stopped in front of my brother who still hadn't moved. He raised his club for one finally hit and then everything would be over. Klaus will be dead and I'll vanish in the middle of the night.

Where was Finn when I needed him? Where was Elijah who seemed to always have Klaus's back? Where was Kol who sneaked out just as much as Klaus did?

Where was any of my brothers?

Where was father when we needed his temper? When we needed him to protect us?

I turned, wrapping my hands around my arms and away from the scene. I couldn't watch my own brother get killed. I couldn't watch it knowing that it was my fault.

I shouldn't have agreed to come.

I flinched as I heard a loud thud, trying to stop the tears that were falling. His feet crunched against the rocks, approaching me as he finished my brother. My body shook with fear and pain.

This was all my fault.

Klaus was dead because of me.

A whimper escaped me as I felt his presence stop right before me. I tightened my hands on my arms, and squeezed my eyes tighter shut. I didn't want to see what he did. I didn't want to see him.

I flinched as a hand brushed against my arm.

"Arebelle?"

How did he know my name? I didn't respond to him.

"You're safe now." This voice was soft and kind.

It didn't sound like the man that was trying to hurt me or Klaus.

Slowly I opened my eyes to see a few fire sticks before my gaze settled on the one in front of me. A kind sad smile was on his face as he offered me a hand. My eyes scanned over him, spotting blood on his clothes.

I didn't trust him.

He kept his hand out for me to take. Slowly with caution my hand slipped into his. He helped me from the ground, watching me closely.

I flinched, growing use to the pain in my leg.

His hand tightened on mine, his eyes leaving my face. I could feel as he looked me over, taking in the shape that I was.

"Joseph, we should be returning. This boy wont last out here."

I looked past Joseph and to my brother as that seemed to be where everyone else was standing. I didn't recognize them from the part of the village that I lived in. I had a feeling that they came from his.

"Klaus." I took a step towards him, wanting to be with my brother.

His arm slipped around me keeping me from falling. "I got you, love," he said, his tone still soft and different from the day before. "Go ahead and take him back. We will be right behind you." He called out.

Our pace was slower then the others even with them carrying someone. Their lights fading away, leaving us with only the moon to lit the path. I didn't say anything still not trusting the male even if it seemed that he helped us.

I didn't know how he stopped Klaus from getting killed. Nor did I know how he managed to stop the giant male so easily.

I didn't want to know.

"Change your mind yet?" Joseph broke the silence.

I didn't respond, refusing to let this act of kindness detour me. I wouldn't marry this man no matter what and I wouldn't let my father have his way either. I had to protect Klaus after all.

He had tried to protect me tonight. He showed me just how deeply he cared and I still had to keep protecting him because I knew that father wouldn't stop. Father would continue hurting my elder brother and I was the only one who dared to try and intervene.

I knew that if it hadn't been for fathers beatings that Klaus wouldn't have been able to get back up so much no matter how much he wanted to. That was the only thing that had came out of it.

We entered a small hut, my brother laid in the middle as smoke rose around us. I stopped wanting to go to him but couldn't. I watched as they removed his clothing, flinching as I saw the wound that he got from protecting me.

I turned away wanting to leave but that was something I couldn't do. I couldn't move to my brother and let him know I was here nor could I leave and abandon him.

So then just what could I do?