Chapter Four

Chapter Four

He moved a piece on the board taking a pawn.

"What is your name?" Carlisle asked, watching the game that was going on.

Having a very nice run with the vampire family I had suggest playing a game of chess to help get questions out of the way. Though I had another reason behind wanting to play the game as it would give me an insight to how well they do against the enemy.

So far I haven't been disappointed.

"Belle Mikaelson." I answered, glancing at my opponent with a smirk. "You sure you're going to win this, Muscles? It takes more brains then bronze."

He sent me an unfriendly look.

"Of course I can." He answered.

"So I know you're Carlisle but I haven't the honor of meeting the rest of your family." I said, moving another pawn out to the playing field. "If you don't mind I'd rather not keep calling everyone by the nickname I gave them in my mind."

Carlisle nodded.

"Emmett, is the one playing chess with you." He began, the others appearing as they waited to be mentioned as well. "This is Alice," the female with short dark hair stepped forward with a slight frown, "Jasper, Rosalie," my eyes went to the blonde female that I hadn't been familiar with, "and my wife Esme. The two that aren't here are Bella and Edward."

My eyes dropped the game as he took another piece.

"Bella's the human?" I asked, taking one of his knights. "I assume that your son loves her very much if he thinks I'm any real harm towards her." I mumbled the last part for my own benefit.

"We had an issue with a passing vampire before." I nodded though wasn't really interested in the fact that someone had shown interest in her. "What brings you here?" He asked.

Emmett booed as I captured his queen.

"Looking for a place to settle in for a while. Moving around so often get's very tiring." I answered, smirking as he made an attempt to trap my king to early. "Though the rain doesn't really suit me."

Looking up I gave him a genuine smile.

"You're cheating!" Emmett accused.

"Even if I had been it shouldn't be this easy." I chuckled in reply. "You and you're family are very different to what a normal vampire would be. You're skin is very cold and very pale compared to a humans. How do you not stand out?" I asked.

Emmett growled as I took another one of his pieces.

"Edward warns us if someone is getting too suspicious." Carlisle explained. "You keep saying like a normal vampire. What is a normal vampire?"

I knocked his king over as the game came to an end.

His answer was very simple.

"I am." I said, looking up at him. "I'm an original and have been alive - along with the rest of my family- for a very long time.. Though I don't know how you're kind came to be without beating hearts but mine survive with theirs. We can not live if our heart isn't connected to us."

"I vote we rip her heart out!" Emmett said, glaring down the the game that ended to quickly for him. "She cheated! That deserves death!" He grumbled.

I chuckled.

"I told you it'll take more brains then bronze to win against me. You are a very poor loser." I pointed out, a few of the others chuckling. "Anyone else?" I asked, glancing at them.

"I will." Alice chirped, changing places with her brother.

"Sweet. This match should be more interesting then the last." I agreed, watching as she set the game up. "How do you kill someone of your kind if you don't have hearts?" I asked, knowing that the heart wasn't the only way to kill a vampire.

We had many weakness that could be used.

A simple human could do the job.

The poor vampires that let a human get the best of them. They weren't even worthy of the name.

"Werewolves and our kind are the only thing that can kill us." His question had my hand stop for a second, the information sinking in.

Humans couldn't kill these guys? Does that mean that I wouldn't be able to?

I wasn't as hard as them though I was positive that I was stronger then them. My speed seemed to be just a tad faster then theirs if that as from what I could tell no one was pushing themselves to the limit.

Did they really count as vampires then?

"Really." I mumbled, sitting the knight I picked up down. "I am the same as you but we are different. While blood pumps through my body, none goes through yours. A human - with the right training and knowledge - could kill me but you claim that only your kind or werewolves can kill you." I mused.

Silence filled the air as we moved a few pieces without anyone talking.

I took a pawn of hers and she returned the favor by taking my knight.

I moved my bishop out to play, while she moved her queen.

I had my King protected, hers was wide open yet I wouldn't be able to capture it.

"Humans can kill you?"

Aw, the question I was waiting for to be asked.

"Yes."

Though technically I had just lied to them. A human would not be able to kill me as I was an original but a human would be able to kill a vampire that wasn't. There was only one thing that could take my life away and let me rest peacefully and my brother had it destroyed.

Silence once more filled the room.

It was my turn to ask the next question.

"I assume you do not eat human food?" I asked, having a feeling that I already knew the answer.

Emmett chuckled as it seemed he was getting into a better mood as he assumed that Alice was beating me.

"It tastes like dirt." His tone hold disgust at the thought.

"Sooo, there's nothing here to eat." I sighed. "What about to drink? Any whiskey?"

"Why would you need that. Vampires don't drink whiskey!" His laughter boomed in the house.

I sent him an unamused look before my eyes went to Carlisle.

This group just kept getting stranger and stranger.

Maybe Elijah was right. I shouldn't have messed with them before having more information.