Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A grin played on my face even as I lost the game of chess that I was playing with Jasper. His golden eyes was filled with amusement that I was able to stay so calm at the sight of actually losing against him unlike how I acted when I lost against Emmett that one time. He was better then most of this family and that lead me to believe that he use to be some sort of strategist before he was turned.

Or he knew how to mess with someones mind.

I sat on the floor with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. He began to reset the game, putting the pieces back to their original spots.

"Chess with questions?" I asked, grabbing one of my pawns and putting it on the board.

The game before was mainly silently, neither one of asking the other question. It was all about out matching the other and it was clear that he would win if it came to a strategy fight. He seems to have a lot of expresses in that area.

He nodded agreeing.

There was still much that I didn't know about this family of vampires. I didn't know how they came to be turned, or who even turned them. I didn't know how they came together though I did figure that it was Carlisle's doing that everyone was in one place together.

He does seem like the type to bring others together.

Of course I knew there was also much more they could learn from me. The possibilities were endless on what type of information I might be willing to give away that day. For all they knew I would tell them the truths instead of the lies I given.

Jasper must've known that the likely of getting any real information out of me would be through the game.

"Winner starts." I said, placing my elbows on my legs and my head in my hands. "Let the game begin."

He moved a pawn.

"Why haven't you tried to compel us?"

I matched his move.

"I want to but no one's agreed yet." I watched as he debuted which piece to next even though it was only the beginning. "How long have you been on the animal diet?"

His golden eyes flashed with pain.

"Not as long as the others." He moved a knight. "What's your real reason for coming to Forks?"

I shrugged, my hand hovering over the board. "My family doesn't tropically go to cold or rainy places so I figured I would be safe. I just hadn't expected to run into a family like yours." I answered, moving another pawn. "How often do you guys repeat the high-school thing?"

He moved his knight next to one of my pawns.

"We usually stay in one place until people start to notice that we don't age and then move around for a few more years." He answered, looking up at once again as I waited to make my move. "Are you running from your family?"

I chuckled, moving a bishop.

"One of my siblings has slight anger issues. He hasn't forgiven me yet for something that I've done so I move every few years so that we don't run into each other." I said, staring at the board.

He'll be able to take either a pawn or the bishop I just moved.

What was his plan.

"How long have you been a vampire?"

He didn't answer as he moved a chess piece.

I waited, making no move to continue the game until he answered the question.

"Around an 150 years."

"You're still a sapling then." I mumbled, chuckling. "Don't worry, I've been alive more then 500 hundred years."

I looked up to see that a frown was still on his face. Shrugging I moved a piece, taking one of his pawns. It was silent for the new few moves, neither one of us speaking.

It was his turn to ask a question and rather he did or not was up to him.

"Why do you call yourself an original?" He asked, taking my knight.

"Because I was the first of my kind." I answered, frowning as I moved another pawn that was in the path to be taken. "Why were you turned?" I asked, getting to a deeper question.

I watched him stiffen, his eyes hardening. It appears that it was the wrong question to ask but I wasn't going to take it back. I was sure that he could tell that I didn't regret asking and that I wasn't about to change the question.

The others became quiet, the noise they had been making stopped completely.

It was creepy that they could become so quiet.

Slowly after a few very long minutes of waiting Jasper explained to me why he had turned and what he had became because of it. I flinch realizing that it was a painful memory that he was reliving at that moment.

I listened closely to each word knowing that this one time deal wouldn't happen again. I heard Emmett say something about Jasper shocking him before the sound of the tv came back on.

Jasper explained how the women that turned him made of vampires and had plans to take over many covens until she was put to a stop. He explained how he left when it became to painful for him.

Then he told me how he found Alice and became part of the Cullen family.

He story was filled with pain.

I could tell that it hadn't been easy for him and that it still wasn't easy for him.

"I'm sorry." I said, as he finished his story. "I shouldn't have asked."

The game continued as we stayed silent.

Soon I only had my king, a pawn, and a knight left on the board. He still had his king, his queen, and two pawns.

Who was going to win this game I wasn't sure. Though if I had to make a guess by this point it would be him.

Finally Jasper broke the silence with a question as it turned to be his turn. He asked the one question I knew would eventually come up rather it was that day or another. A question that I didn't want to answer but knew I had to.