Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

I sat in the room that Edward rented, my legs crossed underneath me as I read some book. Edward had left saying that there was a family friend around the city that we came to and that they would be able to give him some information.

We were a few months in the new year and things appeared to be getting better. Edward wasn't as disappeared as before and I was trying my best to not push him into anything that he didn't want.

It was clear that he still loved Bella and that I had to be patient.

"You know Bella wouldn't want you to mop around and be all depressed." I said, glancing at him as we ran through open land. "She'd want you to be happy."

He flashed me that same famous smirk that's been appearing more and more.

"You better pick up the pace if you don't want me to leave you behind." I rolled my eyes at his clear attempt of talking about something else. "Alice has been wondering when you'd go visit her."

I grinned, knowing that by my ignoring her she'd go to him instead.

"Has she? Why with how often we talked I wouldn't have guessed." I brushed the hair out of my face. "Do we have much longer to go?"

He didn't often want to talk about her or about what she would've wanted from him. It was fine but I knew that she was still a major part of him. She'd have his love -- something that I also wanted but couldn't have.

At the sound of the phone ringing I sat the otherwise boring book down and picked it up.

"Hey Alice." I said, running my hand through my hair.

"Belle." A voice that didn't belong to Alice but Rosalie answered. "Where's Edward?" She demanded.

I sighed, wondering when Rosalie would actually like me.

"He's out." I mumbled, closing my eyes. "What can I do for you?" I asked, doubting that she'd want to tell me why she called.

It seemed that our relationship was still strained. She couldn't understand how I could be a vampire with a beating heart. And why she couldn't have been turned like me.

"I thought you two would like to know that Alice went to Forks." Rosalie said, causing disbelief and surprise.

Why? It didn't make sense. I knew that Alice wanted to return but she knew that she couldn't or that'd put everyone at risk.

"Why?" I asked.

I couldn't let Edward know yet I knew it was the right thing. He deserved to know that his sister returned. That she had gone back for some strange reason.

"Well, she's not breaking rules here, Belle." Rosalie snapped. "Edward had only warned us to stay away from Bella, not the rest of Forks."

What had I said to make her so anger with me. I only asked why. Was that such a bad question.

"What are you talking about Rosalie? She'd eventually run into Bella by going back." I sighed, a pain in my chest. "Why are you telling me this? To what? Hope that I torment Edward with it."

I pulled the phone away to hung up on her.

I didn't need to know why Alice had returned and neither did Edward. He had just been getting better and I didn't want to risk him going back to that depressed state because Alice went back. I might bring Bella up to make him see that his self-pity isn't something that she'd want but I didn't suggest returning to her after the new year started and he knew how I felt.

"Wait!" I stopped, surprised. "That's not why I called."

Confusion filled me.

"Then why? What could have possible made you decide to call and tell us that Alice returned to Forks? It's not like Bella died or anything." I spit out, getting annoyed that Rosalie wasn't just getting straight to the point.

"Tell Edward that he can return home. That the whole Forks thing is done and over with." Rosalie words were rush.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

The Forks thing is done and over with?

Alice returned?

I sensed Edward as he returned at last. The door clicking shut behind him.

"She's dead." Rosalie's words struck a cord as I turned around with wide eyes and looked at Edward. "I.. You're there with him, Belle. It's time that he returns home. Bella.. she threw herself off a cliff two days ago and that's why Alice returned."

Edward froze hearing the conversation.

"Alice saw it but it was too late to do anything. I think she would have helped, broken her word, if there had been time. She returned for Charlie. You have to make Edward return back to us and tell him what happened to her."

I dropped the phone, grabbing his arm as I could see the pain, the horror, that flashed on his face. I could tell that everything had stopped moving for him and that there was nothing keeping him here with me any longer.

At least when he had known that Bella was alive he tried but know I could see he didn't want to live. Not without the human.

"Edward." I said, breaking him out of his shock.

"You were suppose to protect her!" He growled.

I flinched, my mind reeling back to the promise I made him before he left. Before I had decided that I couldn't stay in Forks and watch over her.

He was blaming me and only seconds after learning that she was no longer alive.

"I did my bit! You can't through your life away for a human!" I shouted, pain lacing my voice. "What about those of us that love you!"

"I don't want to be loved by anyone but her!"

I flinched, tears stinging my eyes.

"I love you! Isn't that enough!" I shouted, my chest twisting. "I get that Bella had been important to you but it seems like she couldn't handle the pain and decided to do something stupid. She didn't care about what others would feel if something was to happen to her!"

I knew that he wanted to end his life. There was only but a few ways to do that.

"You said you made her pain go away!" He snarled at me, his golden eyes burning with hate.

I stumbled, the wind getting knocked out of me at the accusation.

I didn't kill her.

"You might have as well have been the one to push her over the ledge." My heart felt as if it was suddenly grabbed and squeezed. "If you had stayed you would've been able to stop her!"

"And if you hadn't broken her heart she wouldn't have felt the need to!" I shouted, my throat tightening. "I'm not the one who made a human fall in love with them and then left them. You did that!"

"That's why I need to end it! The only person I'll love is dead!"

"I wont' let you kill yourself!"

His face became as cold and empty as ice. "You won't be able to stop me." He snarled, launching forward.

I was to surprised at his sudden attack. Too surprised and hurt by his words. To overwhelmed to put up much of a fight.

The sound of Rosalie voice still coming from the phone in the background was the last thing I heard as darkness overcame me.