(26) Phone Calls - Present

Chapter Twenty-Six

I walked into the forest seeing Bella and Edward at the spot we agreed to me. A faint smile appearing on my face as I approached the happy pair. There was one more thing I would have to do before I shut my phone off and went with them.

"Give me a minute," I said, Edward nodding in agreement as he heard me.

Pulling my phone out I dialed a number that I was familiar with. I listened to the phone as it rang, over and over again before getting answered.

"Elijah." I said, glad that he had answered.

No reply came but only silence. Something I was sure I deserved.

"Brother?" I asked, swallowing away the fear.

I couldn't understand why he would answer if he didn't plan to talk. It didn't sound like something Elijah would do. Maybe one of my other brothers but not Elijah.

Sighing, my stomach twisted into knots as a pain formed in my chest. My eyes locked a with a pair of golden ones that still sent my world into a swirl, causing the pain I felt to only worsen. Desperate what I told myself, what I told Edward and everyone else, I couldn't make what I felt go away.

I couldn't make the love I had disappear.

"I've found myself in a pickle," I said, watching as Edward lend to Bella and told her it would be a few more minutes. "Those vampires that you don't want to exist because it doesn't make sense for them to.. Well I'm getting ready to fight an army of them." I hoped that he would finally say something.

Jasper had told me everything I needed to know about the newborn vampires. He warned me to how dangerous they could be.

I didn't care.

I could fight to protect this town and Mike. I would fight to protect the group that was growing on me. I would fight to help the wolves that treated me the same when when I lost my humanity and gained it back.

Of course I was still hoping that Elijah would care. That he would try and talk me out of it.

"Since we've been alive, the only thing I had to fear was father catching Klaus. Well, today that has changed it seems, because today I fear so much more. I fear that those I started to care about will die because of me. I fear that my heart will fail me and turn me against what I know is right." I sighed, wishing that my brother would say something.

He always knew what to do.

"I wish you were here, Elijah," I said, wishing that I wasn't alone in this mess. "I should be going but I wanted to let you know. It's been months since we talked, brother. Months since you knew what was happening with me. I just.." I trailed off not knowing what to say.

Pulling the phone away I ended the call.

I understood. He was busy. He couldn't always talk on the phone.

He didn't need to be bothered.

Tossing the phone into the bag I brought along I headed towards Edward and his human love. The same weak smile as before falling onto my face as I felt anything but happy.

Edward was fighting for Bella.

Bella was hiding to protect her family a few miles from where the battle was to take place.

I was fighting to help Edward.

Leah tried to get me to change my mind, even telling Sam what I was doing. Sam agreed to let me continue with the plan, both of us unsure just how many newborns would be coming. He knew that I would be more helpful in the fight then on the sidelines.

I would be able to stop any unforeseen events from happening.

Besides, maybe Bella's blood wouldn't be the only thing to distract the newborns. My blood might work just as well.

"Let's go."