4:Testing The Waters

2 days later.

15th of May, 2153.

00:00

Qing Lianmu stared at his watch which had just turned midnight and muttered under his breath, "It's here."

He had already changed out of his casual clothes and replaced them with his black battle suit. Double-checking, Qing Lianmu pulled the straps around his limbs a little and patted down on the weapons on his body.

The first event that upstarts the beginning of the apocalypse is the appearance of zombies. Their first appearance erupted in the alleyways, then slowly branched their way onto the streets, biting people in public.

To be able to solve the problem, one had to get to the roots and upheave them. This wouldn't exactly do anything, however, but Qing Lianmu wanted to see the creature which caused the first round of zombies to emerge.

Furthermore, the information from 009 also said that the apocalypse was the best era to collect chaos energy. Chaos energy doesn't exist on its own, it creates other forms of energy but the reverse on its own is impossible without external help and creatures from the apocalypse had an abundance of energy.

Qing Lianmu left the penthouse and headed to the back of an alley on the streets. He went to a dead end and by the side on the floor, there was a sewer passage entrance.

Taking out one of his tools, Qing Lianmu bent down and unscrewed the screws. The screws were then left to the side without care and once all of them were taken off, he tucked his finger underside and lifted the compartment.

Underneath, a bottomless pit was exposed with metal bars on one side. It was a ladder. Qing Lianmu placed the lid aside and directly jumped down.

He landed safely and the moment he stood up, Qing Lianmu was attacked by the putrid stench of sewage water. He scrunched his eyebrows, unconsciously pulling the corners of his lips down.

Qing Lianmu covered his nose and his eyes revealed mild disgust. He cut off his sense of smell and walked around the maze-like underground sewage system.

The tunnel was dim and dark, the walls appeared to have mould and other types of stains, unknown what type of diseases they could bring. With the addition of the moisture and humidity in the air, it made his body uncomfortable and tingly.

It was a blessing to be able to block his sense of smell or else Qing Lianmu assumed he would lose one of his senses forever; just breathing it in for a second numbed his nose.

The middle of the tunnel was like a river of liquified garbage. Inspecting closer, globs of unidentifiable brown mush stuck to the side of the walls with some strange fungi growing beside it.

Using his spiritual energy, Qing Lianmu scouted the entire area by a 100-metre radius. He sensed numerous scuttering creatures moving about, it was almost an endless amount.

It had only been half an hour since the designated time just passed and already, so many rats were under the city.

Through his walk, Qing Lianmu noticed many rats but ignored them and pinpointed areas with the biggest fluctuation. The rats which had spotted him were following him; the number of rats increased by the second until the entire walls were covered by these furry creatures.

Multiple little eyes lit up in the dark, like red lights warning him of incoming danger, movements from the rat's bodies were never-ending. If someone with triphobia saw this scene, they would've collapsed in fear by now.

Through the distance, a pair of red eyes, larger by a few more centimetres shone brightly within the darkness. It stared at Qing Lianmu and its figure became was vaguely visible.