16: Car broke??

"We're also from Haeven City. We wanted to go to Sandi Brocade because we heard there was a base with many awakened there. But the car we used broke down so we walked to the gas station."

Ling Xue then cut in her boyfriend and carried on with passion. "We wanted to take a car at the gas station but they were all unusable! And then zombies tried to eat us after they saw us. They were like a pack of hungry hyenas I saw once online."

"I checked the other cars and they really were unusable." Qing Lianmu laughed. The cars had zombie flesh inside.

"Right? So A'Chu and I hid in the gas shop. I wanted to leave so bad but the zombies were everywhere. And then we finally met people, and that was uhh... you two!"

"Thank you for allowing us on once again." Yang Chu said politely while restraining his girlfriend from flailing her arms in the air trying to make their journey sound more exaggerated and interesting than it really was.

"A'Chu, stop it. You're tickling me." She complained and pouted. She moved her hand over and pinched the back of his hand.

"Be good and behave." He coaxingly said while stroking her hair. She melted instantly and leaned her head back to snuggle into his chest while letting out muffled words.

"No fair, you can't do that..."

"The PDA is a little blinding wouldn't you say?" Looking through the mirror head, Qing Lianmu felt like he was just a chauffeur for the couple.

He side glanced Ke Xia who had one leg up on the front part of the car. He was silent and still appeared to be sleeping, like the conversation had not passed into his ears, he was completely motionless.

About a few kilometres ahead, his spiritual conscious sensed something big up ahead. It was at the same time, Ke Xia opened his eyes narrowed like he was expecting something.

When the car got closer, a thin layer of fog had surrounded them. Overgrown vines were appearing more often than not, beginning to impact the driving experience on the road.

A vine the size of a tree trunk appeared in front of the road, blocking the way. Qing Lianmu pressed the brakes with his foot.

"I don't think we can proceed like this." Qing Lianmu got out of the car and looked at the vines.

When he came back, Yang Chu thoughtfully asked, "How is it?"

Qing Lianmu shook his head and replied, "The road is fully blocked. We may have to walk to Sandi Brocade now."

He said it jokingly but everyone knew it wasn't a joke, they really had to walk now.

"It shouldn't be too bad climbing over vines." Qing Lianmu tried to cheer everyone up but Ke Xia didn't assume on optimism.

"You have really naive thoughts."

Not expecting Ke Xia to speak up so suddenly, Qing Lianmu's smile spread across his lips. "How so? Are you going to tell me these vines will attack us?"

"..."

Seeing his silence, Qing Lianmu knew he guessed right and laughed to himself. "Don't be so uptight, a little optimism is good for people."

Ke Xia gave a derisive look of scorn.

"They're not going to attack people, they're going to eat you."

"What's the difference?"

Ke Xia walked off, ignoring him again and stepped forward with his axe and swung down on the vines.

CHOP!

After chopping it down once, the axe swung sideways like a bat and caused half the vines to fly away like a baseball.

"..."

So violent...

Unexpectedly, the chopped vines regenerated and fairly quickly too.

"Tsk."

And not only did it regrow, the vines on the road shifted and slammed in their direction!

"Kyaaaa! A'Chu!" Ling Xue watched in shock as Yang Chu dodged the strike while holding her in his arms tightly.

"Sorry. I'll be more gentle next time."

"Are you both alright?" Qing Lianmu's voice sounded from a distance.

"Yes, thank you for your consideration Mr. Qing."

While avoiding the vines weren't such a big deal, more and more kept coming and the ground was starting to become infested. "Oh no, the car."

The vines had wiggled their way around the car and often it into the air and crushed it.

!!!

"Watch out!"

Qing Lianmu's warning was too late as the car had already been thrown the couple's way. Qing Lianmu was ready to take out his sword and flung it right there!

The car split into two over the couple's head and dropped with a loud noise at their sides.

"..."

"I...I-I-I-I almost died..." Ling Xue's face went pale.

"A'Chu!!!! I was so scared!!!! Wahhhh!" She gripped Yang Chu's shirt with an almost deathly, strong grip. Yang Chu sighed a breath of relief and smiled helplessly.

He patted and stroked her head very calmly. "We both almost died haha. It's good that we're alive."

"What are you laughing at?" Ling Xue pouted in an aggrieved tone. "You think it's funny?! I'm going to hit you!"

"Hahaha." Yang Chu let her hit him all she wanted.

Qing Lianmu looked over in their direction with bewilderment. "I thought people here take death more seriously. But it's good they're very strong minded."

"..."

Ke Xia was met with the most fury as a large vine had not stopped its attacks on him. He was silently dealing with it.

'Are they playing whack-a-mole?' Qing Lianmu secretly chuckled at the sight.

"I should probably help him...oh?"

The vines had stopped just a few centimetres away from Ke Xia and was unable to reach any further. Ke Xia jumped upwards and struck his axe down in several areas.

The surrounding vines suddenly shrivelled up leaving only the large ones which had all been knotted together by him earlier. Once he was done, he went down and put his axe away.

Then he was met with a broken car and the chicken couple hugging each other, "..."

Clap clap clap.

His pupils moved to the corner, Qing Lianmu was clapping with a smile as he walked over.

"That was very impressive Mr. Ke."

"..."

Qing Lianmu also looked at the car with a little dismay. "I'm afraid we no longer have a car. It seems we really will be walking now."

And the vine issue hasn't been fully resolved either. This was nothing but the surface and the root cause hadn't been dealt with. Furthermore, the fog was becoming incredibly heavy with an unnatural pink colour lacing over it.

Qing Lianmu couldn't even see the road they came from. Maybe it would be better to go back and try another route to Sandi Brocade.

"Everyone, I think..."

Bang!

______________________