Rook blocks Bishop

Mario's vision slowly returned to him; the smoke and small flashes of sparks. Reminded him of the battle for Roswell. His first instinct was to reach for his weapon failing to remember he left it in the armory.

"Are you alright?" Asked Ozbin lifting himself up with his cane.

Mario did not answer; as he froze he heard some movement down the hall. He stuck his head out the door and looked at the darkened hallway. The damaged lights made it almost impossible to see. The only thing that stood was the red outlined of machines slowly marching down the hall.

"Brace yourself." Said Mario who blocked the door with furniture.

"Perhaps they are the rescues team?" Said Ozbin almost jokingly.

"Metroplex! What is happening?" Yelled Mario as he picked up a pipe in preparation for the interval melee.

"Exxxxx...plods...ion. Errrorerore." Said a voice through a broken speaker.

A drone forcefully opened the door to the room. Only to be pulled into the room by it's robotic throat. Then have its head collapsed by a pipe. Ozbin didn't make a sly remark but quietly watched. As Mario inspected the looted rifle.

"We should make our way toward the head master's office." Said Ozbin.

Mario shocked his head in disagreement. "No we should organize ourselves and push them out."

Ozbin with his multiple life times of experience, choose to follow Mario. The two walked through the hallway meeting little to no resistance and even no students or soldiers to speak off. The feeling of loneliness made Mario more suspicious. The two arrived at the center of the academy and found evidence of battle.

A pair of damaged droids shot as they advanced toward the head office. A dead guard who was shot while retreating.

"Are after the general?" Question Ozbin.

Mario looked over the solider looking at his face. Pondering what drove him to join the military. These people didn't know true war like he and his companions; they lived in relative peace. Mario took a deep breath and followed the direction of the retreating lines. Ozbin followed behind keeping a respectable distance between them. Should anything happen of course.

The sound of battle grow louder as they got closer to the mess hall. Training drones and other machine had created a firing line around the building. Shooting their red beams with a unsustainable rate of fire. The students and soldiers inside the mess hall returned fired through broken windows and overturn tables.

Mario hesitate for a moment looking at the lifeless bodies of students still dressed in their uniforms. He thanked whatever power brought him here that the Captain wasn't here. But only bitterly; there were still dead children here. He picked up a knife from a student who died with fear in her eyes.

Mario raised his rifle and without saying a word or yelling out some forgotten battle cry. Mario rushed the battle lines the speed of a leopard. Obliterating three drones before they could respond. Once inside the ranks of the drones. Mario fought with the ferocity of a snapping turtle. Using his newly discovered super strength to throw the machines like rag dolls. Mario brutalized the droids who would have routes if not their narrow minded programming.

The survivors watching from their shelter cheered and provided covering fire to Mario. As he sunk his knife deep into the chest of one machine. Knocking another to the floor and emptying a few rounds into its head. Then elbowing another.

A droid jumped onto Mario's back but before any harm could be done. A round hit the machine in the head. Shutting it off once and for all. Mario and Ozbin stood over their battlefield and were greater by the healthiest of the troops. A small groups of 5-6 soldiers, some 10 cadets armed with unique weapons. The leader of this group was a woman wearing purple stripes armor. Her face was covered by what looked like a knock off Izzy's helmet.