Battle of Glacier Plaines: Day 1

Glacier Plains airspace 1300

Commander Winter Schnee fixed her uniform; making sure there were no wrinkles. She was given the command of the first and hopefully the only wave. She wasn't nervous at all, she had been preparing for such an event for her life. She only wished it was Grimm and not the White Fang. She looked through the blast resistant window admiring the view. Hundreds of small airships flying in standard V or diamond formations through the sky. With the Flagship Determination just in the middle of the display of force. She would have smiled but she knew better than to show emotion in front of the men and women of the Atlesian army.

The task force knew the plan, every Captain was drilled in the plan and what to expect. The air fleet would land first and establish a beachhead. Determination would act as a mobile artillery battery softening any resistance they might encounter. Eventually Commander Clover and the ground troops would reinforce the main assault if needed. Which Winter doubted they would be needed. Their sheer force of strength would be enough. At least that is what the manual said.

A radio message played through the rank and file. It was General Ironwood, his tone was firm and tough. Void of any joy, remorse or sadness.

"Troopers, today we are going to strike a blow against an enemy who is determined to end our kingdom. If we do not retake this fortress then it would be a matter of time before Mantle and Atlas run out of food and fuel. So I'm asking you to fight with due diligence and with such ferocity that even Grimm would think twice about attacking Atlas. On our shoulders."

Every Atlases Soldier regardless of their rank and position shouted back. "On our Shoulders!" With that the first group of airships advanced and landed on the icy plains below. Just out of range of the first line of defense. Once free from their human cargo, the troop carriers return to the Determination to get restock and refuel. While a few probed the Fortress's air defenses or provided cover fire for the squads that advanced ahead of the group.

Winter got off her transport and looked around her. The cold arctic wind brushed against her skin. She couldn't hear much as the endless roars of engines did little to muffle the sound of explosion, gun fire and the screaming.

Winter was approached by a soldier with a purple stripe. Indicating he was a corporal. "Commander!" A nearby explosion sent a tower of snow and ice shard up lacing them with frost. "Units 8, 12 and 3 had engaged the enemy. They are reporting light resistance."

Winter had a small grin on her face. The battle was going too well. It was only a matter of time before they reached the second and third line of defense.

"Capture and hold the first line until more troops are able to land." Ordered Winter. She raised her dust saber and charged along with a squad. As they got closer to the first trench line. The resistance they faced got heavier. A white fang zealot stuck his head over the trench aiming his rifle and shot. His first shot missed its mark, but it encouraged some of his fellow defenders to shoot at the Atlesians.

The Atlesians spread themselves out and shot back. Winter ran faster avoiding any bullets that got too close to her with the grace expected of a Schnee. Weaving her way into the trench line. Kicking the Zealot unconscious and slashing the other defenders. Who recognized who she was and ran. Only to be gunned down by Atlesians who reached the line. A few others who still recognize who she was and tried to kill her. Using their claws, shovels or their guns as a club.

Their training, if any, was no match for the expertise of the commanders. Who routed the remaining defenders in her sector. Who climbed over their trench line and ran to the battlements of the second line. Some dropped their weapons or comrades in the middle of no man's land.