preparations

Glacier Plaines was the most strategic route between Atlas and the Southwestern coast and its warm water ports. It didn't matter if one traveled in a truck or in an Airship. It had to travel through Glacier Plaines, stopping to refuel or to branch off to another point of the kingdom. It was the artery of the kingdom. Keeping the lights and more importantly the heat in Mantle and Atlas on. The ruling body of the kingdom recognized the importance of Glacier Plaines and so constructed a large fortress in the middle of the territory.

Protecting that vital supply line at any cost and proconsul aid to the surrounding area. Yet with peace the fortress was outdated and under garrison.

It was no wonder that the White Fang were able to capture the fortress with relative ease. Not only were they able to seize the fortress but were able to hide their take over. The White Fang continues the fortress's operations keeping the illusion alive. Watts was able to provide the proper channels and protocols. While the more human looking members of the Fang interacted with the flow of traffic. Even fooling an Atlas Intelligence agent.

It is here that the White Fang would strike at Atlas. The question was only when they would strike.

Watts was scrolling over his scroll admiring the results of his latest creation. The skirmish proved too uneventful for its first deployment. But there was sufficient space for him to test it. Using the experimental cannon to melt some of the ice. Which was quick to freeze again.

"So human!" Yelled the black mane lion Faunus. "When can I meet this Patron of ours?" He said holding his hand out in a crude gesture of friendship.

Watts didn't look away from his screen instead letting Tyrion do the talking. "Her majesty is pleased by what you are doing here. But she isn't too sure that you are ready to see her yet."  The scorpion chackled.

He jumped off his tail and looked the lion dead in the eye. "Why the rush? She has plenty of time to spare." He laughed as he crawled away. Creating an uneasy atmosphere.

"Don't worry our patron will welcome you shortly once the blockade starts." Said Watts who finally put down his scroll.

"What if Atlas tries to take the fort back." Yelled Tur who stepped into the command room.

"That is why we are here." Replied Watts holding up the recent reports of his weapon. "Well you to be precise."

Tur looked at her superior, understanding that she would be the pilot. She gave a fake smile to Watts who was too uninterested or distracted to notice.

"The weapons are more than enough to melt through a battleship's hull." Said Watts.

"For your sake your toy better do that."

Watts raised eyebrows at the threat. "Oh believe me it will. Now I'll leave this fort's defense to you and your friend." 

Watts left the command room with Tyrion following behind. The two walked a fair distance away before speaking.

"Would you be able to capture at least one of our mutual friends, once the fighting starts?" Asked Watts expecting an extravagant answer.

"Just one would do?"

"She would prefer if we can get all three. But I doubt that these children! Won't be able to capture all three of them. Let alone have the patience to let them live long enough."

"Then I'll try my best to bring all three here. Just make sure they are here." Added Tyrion in a posh and elegant tone. Which irritated Watts.

(Tur and Evon)

Evon combed his hair with his claws. As Tur informs him of their most recent repairs and expansion. The walls were repaired and two additional dugouts were created facing any potential landing zones.

"Are we really going to capture those humans?" Asked Tur. Her hair and tone were on edge.

Evon took a deep breath and looked at Tur. His eyes were as cold as ever. "No a lot can happen during a battle. Plus we need to avenge our fallen brothers and sisters from the dockyard and from Pyke."

Tur smiled at the thought of killing the human who stole her friend and nearly killed her twice. She drew out her dagger and admired it. "Good thing I'm the pilot now. I can shoot the transports as they arrive."

"No," Evon walked to the map of the fortress. "I want the world to see that the age of men is coming to an end. Let them land and break themselves here against he walls our ancestors built." His voice was gleeful at the end of his speech. He walked to the window overlooking the future battlefield and pointed to a part of the plain where some rocks were iced over.

"Have the men build a hole. You'll surprise them once they arrive in large enough numbers."

Tur nodded and left the room. As Evon began to fantasize about his new world order a messenger broke his immersion.

"What!" He snapped at the goat horned Faunus.

"We have an airship approaching."

"So let them in!"

"But they... are ...Ace Ops." He stuttered.

"Oh..." he paused thinking of what to do. He then walked over to the board and pressed a button.

"Atlas 1 hour and half later"

Christmas leave has ended and New Year's Day is just three days away. The unit has returned to the Academy, with no complaint or protest. They didn't want to ask for New Year's Day as it was just going to be another day for them. So when they arrived in Atlas they were mildly surprised to find that there was no assignment for them.

Captain Max had used the smaller break to continue his errands. Wrapping things up for the inevitable closing. There were a few errands left, some of which he knew wouldn't be complete in a single day.

He stepped into the unit's room in the barracks. To his side was his primed weapon. He took a deep breath and entered the room. As he hoped it just Beryl who was reading an article on her scroll.

"Do you have a minute?" Said Max as formal as his augments allowed him.

Beryl looked down from her scroll and looked at the Captain. She gave off an aura of hate and dread, one that even the Captain tread with care. "What is it?" She said, her voice was fierce.

The Captain pulled his weapon from his side. Beryl closed her eyes expecting to be killed but it didn't happen. Slowly she has the courage to open her eyes. She saw the Captain holding his strange weapon to its side.

"I am sorry." He said calmly. "For everything I had done to you."

Berly was dazed by the gesture and the apology. She reached out for the gun but pulled her hand back. Remembering the atrocities that the Captain did in the harbor.

"No, I don't accept your apology." She said coldly.

The Captain didn't faultier he continued to speak with the same calmness he always had. "It's fine, I do not need forgiveness. I am looking for redemption." He left the rifle on the floor and turned away.

"If you want redemption! Then become a huntsman, kill Grimm rather than humans and Faunus!"

"I thought about that, but..." the Captain looked at his hands imagining the blood flood through his hands. Shaking his head at the mental image of Salem smiling at him. "But, it's the only thing I know."

The Captain left the room, leaving the rifle and Berly.

The doors slid open and Max stepped into Pietro's workshop. The drones had finally repaired their mechanical giant. Platinum saluted the Captain and gave him a hug. The Captain gave a faint smile and patted her head.

"Hah Max. I was just about to call you."

"I see the dreadnaught is ready?"

"Indeed it is. The General would be pleased to know it is ready."

Then the room turned red, the sound of sirens rang out throughout the room. It wasn't an emergency lockdown or a fire drill. It was a call to action. The speakers throughout every room went off. Monitors showed the face of a lion Faunus.

"My name is Ebon."