Recovery

The atmosphere of the surgery room was tense. The surgeons were nervous as they were too accustomed to their advanced technique. The procedure was more medieval in comparison. Creating the portable artificial respirator was easy. How equipping it was proved to be a challenge to the military doctors. Yet, Lieutenant Ezekiel was adamant that this was the way to do it. The AI had also assured them that such medical procedures were the norm in their world.

The patient's heart rate was stable, the tension between the surgeons slowly died as they began their surgery and the life of the man in front of them was now solely in their capable hands.

Above them was the observation room; normally used by students to watch a surgery as it happened. Was now reserved for the General who watched with curiosity at the surgery below.

He was numb to what happened below; he wasn't concerned about the possible loss of the American. He was a soldier too; he knew the price of war. The calculated gains and losses of each battle. He wasn't here because of some ancient unspoken rule between warriors either.

He was contemplating the information that professor Ozbin had told him. Before he left to Beacon academy. About the gods, relics, maidens and Salem. As well as the interest he has with the Americans.

He wanted to know what to do with that information. Why is there so much interest in foreigners? Ever since they arrived life felt to be going by too fast for the old general. He took a deep breath as he knew there was still the question of what to do with him and the people who returned from the illegal rescue operation.

Winter was easy to handle; despite wanting to punish her. The General had no choice but to give her a promotion to commander. Public opinion of her was too high after the news broke out that she rescued her grandfather. The rest were too unknown for him to be confined to quarters.

He wasn't able to collect any relevant information from the two soldiers. outside of the investigation that allowed them to find each other.

The General took a deep breath. Watching the surgery uninterrupted; until the newly promoted Commander stepped into the room.

"I have the reports you asked for." She said calmly.

"Read them to me." Said the General not wanting to break his concentration.

"Pietro stated that the prototype is ready and that Metro..I mean Platinum is using it."

"Good; anything on Watts he should have returned by now."

"He has yet to report back. He had sent in a request  for an extension for his field study."

"Of course he has. Approve it."

Winter swiped down the screen of her scroll. To the General's private email.

"It's a request from Ozbin sir. It's marked as private. Should I just give it to you?"

The General closed his eyes, turning away from the surgery. He didn't want any more secrets between his soldiers. The Captain's condition was a result of a secret that went too far. He opened them and placed a firm hand on Winter's shoulder. 

"Before you read it let me tell you the real reason Professor Ozbin visited."

And so the General spoke freely, unaware that another was listening in.

*Soldier Quarter*

The past three weeks had been a drag for the men of the American Armored Division. Constant integrations, disarmed and locked in their room. They felt more like prisoners of war. Rather than guests or valued employees of the state. As Lieutenant Mario sarcastically put it.