Christmas

*2 days before Christmas*

Winter sat in a briefing room; Atlas intelligence had discovered something odd during their feverish watch of the kingdom.

The people who usually worked in that department were people who expected the glamour of a spy. Or were too tech savvy for their one good. Fortunately they didn't get a failed spy driven by machismo or thirst. Unfortunately they got the alternative: a scrawny man who stumbled over himself and muttered a lot.

"As you can see there are significant weather changes in the following areas south of the kingdom. What is typically a colder climate has spikes of warmer temperatures."

"It could be the result of underground volcanoes too close to the surface." Said Clover.

"We thought too!" He said with too much energy. *cough* "I compared it to known geographical maps. But found that there isn't a thermal spot near it."

The General tapped his fingers, "I will have someone investigate immediately."

The intelligence agent fluttered "oh no need. We are sending someone to check it out already."

The General stopped tapping his fingers, tightening his fist. "Thank-you. But make sure that next time please let me know beforehand." He said with some venom in the last words.

The agent panicked, gave a quick apology and ran away. Leaving the General and the two commanders alone.

"Do you think it's the winter maiden?" Asked Clover.

"It shouldn't be. The winter maiden should be making things colder."  Answered Winter.

"Maybe she can make things less cold?"

The General stood up, finally making a decision. "Have to investigate the anomaly. Report back what you find?"

"Who will you want to send?" Asked Clover

"Tortuga, Harriet and Vine."

Clover nodded and left the room to organize the plan. Winter waited for the door to fully close before bringing up her opinion.

"I know what you are going to ask." Said the General coldly "the Ace ops will be able to bring the maiden without a hiccup. I have a plan."

"That is not what I was going to ask sir."

The General raised an eyebrow curious at what she had to ask.

"I was wondering about your decision with...Captain Max and the 88th?"

The General sat down looking at Winter with a sad
eyes. "The 88th will be disbanded and the remaining elements will be given a new assignment."

Winter lost herself for a moment, before asking who will be staying. "Captain Max, had volunteered to operate the dreadnaught. The Ace Ops retrieved."

Ironwood pressed a button showing a holographic display of the dreadnaught. Stomping through a test course. Obliterating the large mammoth Grimm with a small volley of its updated auto cannon.

"Initial testing had proven to be most successful."

The holovid ended with The Captain exiting the machine with clear signs of fatigue and injury.

Winter was unsure on how to feel about the news. She saluted and left the room. Not wanting to think about the recent news. But faith had something else in store. She received a call from her Grandfather.

"Winter?" The old man asked, still unsure how to really use the technology.

"Yes grandfather." Winter quickly fixed her hair and made her face as stoic as possible.