Chapter 2 - Prologue p2

Lyra

I dragged my feet behind me as I walked with the rest of the first years into the great hall. I heard the boys from the train behind me and desperately attempted to get lost in the crowd, anywhere away from them. Until I heard Sirius' voice behind me.

"Which way did that girl go? Short, reddish hair and a sulking glare on her face?" I rolled my eyes and immediately walked faster. I overheard the girl he asked flirting with him and I scoffed under my breath, rolling my eyes again.

"Lyra's right there." I heard the voice of a boy I had asked for directions before Sirius and I literally rammed into each other on the train. I mentally cursed him and sent him a dark glare. Git.

I heard Sirius' laughter only seconds before him and James were on both sides of me and each had put a hand on my forearms. My face flushed and I stared daggers at each of their heads. We finally got to the front of the hall and waited while an old, battered looking hat was placed on a three legged stool. I glanced at it and when nothing happened, I stared around at everyone else, but they seemed to know what was happening. That was when the hat began to sing. I awkwardly fidgeted around until the hat eventually ceased it's horrid chanting. The professor, I hadn't caught her name, held up a long roll of parchment and began to call people up.

"Avery, Thomas."
SLYTHERIN

"Barker, Kayla."
HUFFLEPUFF

"Bevin, Cassandra."
RAVENCLAW

"Black, Sirius." Sirius winked at me, soon smirking in response to my sneer. The professor glared down at him and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Blimey, I'm coming.." He trailed off, seeing the professor, but his silence was short lived as he smirked up at her.

He sat down on the stool and smirked at everybody individually, it seemed, before his eyes landed on me and he winked dramatically.

GRYFFINDOR

A loud applause started up at the Slytherin table until it abruptly sunk in and it turned into cries of outrage as Sirius' smirk grew and he left the stool, looking prouder than ever. My eyes trailed after him until he caught my eye and he smirked as I flushed but didn't look away until he had sat down and was out of my line of vision.

"B- pardon me. Davi, Lyra."

I nervously strode up to the stool, sighing as I sunk down and tried to avoid eye contact. Finally, the hat spoke up. Hmmm, difficult. Very difficult. Stubborn, short tempered but gentle and loyal. Slightly naïve and trusted too easily in the past which causes you to have issues with trust now. Very secretive and sly. Better be..

SLYTHERIN

I tensed up, feeling icy cold as I lifted my head and met Sirius' eyes. The clear look of disgust was etched into his features and he sent a chilling glare my way when I caught his eye. I flinched and tears sprung behind my eyes, before I leapt to my feet and forced a smile onto my usually bright face. I sent one last tearful gaze towards Sirius as another first year was sent to Gryffindor.

{4/10/15}